Monday, February 26, 2018

WGR Cottage

My kit arrived on Friday and I put it together on Saturday. I was going to just do the walls but then I put the roof on too, because I wanted to see how much of a pain the angles would be.  I had the idea it would be difficult.

I was right. Sooooo irritating.



It's larger than I would have thought, but I like it.  Mentally I'm already planning where I can put it when it's done.  I've got a good idea though.

Here's a rough look at how it'll appear when I make my additions.


My dormer will be wide enough to cover the skylight opening and obviously the porch will be walled in.


You can see that if I want to make a second story I'll have to cut the front and back walls, extend the sides and I'll also have to extend the roof edges.  I think I'll be able to get away with using the kit's roof pieces though.

I think I'll end up making the front window smaller, maybe only two wide.  Cottages typically didn't have walls full of windows because of heating issues.  And glass was still expensive.


I like the windows, but I think I'm going to be altering them to be casement type windows.  I'll try to use the frames and then build a smaller inner frame on a hinge inside.

My secret weapon for building Tudor style casement windows is this:



My idea is to cut this to size, put the wire on either side of the glass, glue it in tight and then use Triple Glaze to give the 'glass' the Tudor look.


I've also got some casement windows which I'm planning to use on the second floor.


My other idea is to have one wall without windows, probably what would have been the left wall.  And I'll use that as the right wall.  It puts windows where I want them.


I think I'll end up either widening the window opening in the back wall and lowering it somewhat to use a casement window back there as well.

I'm trying to think of the logistics of the loft floor/porch ceiling and I think I'll have to cut the walls right above the loft slots in order to raise the roof and make it a true second floor.  I won't be able to use the actual loft floor because once I move the walls out an inch on either side it won't be wide enough.  So I need a new second floor.

It might be worth it to make a new front wall simply because the existing one will require so much done to it what with cutting it to make it taller and narrowing the big window.  And if I'm going to do that I'm debating extending the second floor out on the front as well.  Not sure about that.  I don't want it to be too busy and I'm already doing a Tudor style bay window like so.


I like that trim on the house pictured, though I'm not certain it's completely Tudor.  It looks like it was added in Victorian times.  So maybe some simple dark beams for roof trim to go next to the slate roof.

My other issue is the loft partition wall.  I need something to support the ridge beam, but I don't want the second floor divided by much besides the fireplace/chimney.  So I need to think up a solution for that.  Maybe some beam framing to support the upper part of the wall that faces the outside.

Since I'm not going to have a porch I'll need to fill in the slots for the walls.  But I'm going to end up putting flagstones down on the floor anyway so they'll be hidden.

I'm still going to need to cut a couple of walls though.  The right side wall with the one double and two single windows and also the back wall.  I need to cut a doorway into the back wall as well or there's no way to get to the second floor.  I suppose I could put a fake door in there but I want to be able to see the stairs.

Now to start drawing on the walls and figure out exactly where I'll need to cut.  This is going to be fun!  Nerve wracking but fun!

Oh, here's something for all of you Building Inspector fans out there.  I had the dry fit put together all of maybe ten minutes before the Inspection began.




She didn't go inside this time.  I'm sure that'll happen next time.

12 comments:

  1. Wow this is so exciting! It looks so complicated, but your solutions to complicated things is all part of the fun in watching your builds progress! I love the sculpting form idea for the leaded windows! I can't wait for that part! I'm sending good energy your way for finding a plan and solutions to the challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to stock up on bass wood for the walls. I don't think balsa will do the trick.

      Once I get the windows figured out I think it'll be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to have something for all of you to see pretty soon.

      Delete
  3. Oh it's so fun to see the dry fit! Just reading through... so your planning on having a second story? I love that! I didn't realize that was part of the plan before, sorry if I've completely missed that along the way... Stairs at least will take up some extra space that you've been trying to deal with.
    I love the way the dormer looks on the dry fit. It's going to be amazing! I'm seriously so excited for this build.
    Meanwhile I. must. resist. and stick with my plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I'm planning in the fireplace will take up a lot of the space and and the stairs should go in the tower. I'm excited to really make it like Tudor with the second floor being wider than the first.

      Can't wait to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  4. So excited to see your ideas in progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This weekend is when the real work will start.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations for the arrival of the kit. It's interesting to learn about your plans and then see them at work. Looks like you have a lot on your hand. I shall love to follow this project.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh.. now it's getting exciting.. Great to see the kit in dry fit. I love love love your clever solution for tudor windows. I hope you can pull it off because I may want to copy that idea in the future.. :D That's a lot of bashing of MDF you have planned there. I hope you've got good power tools. If you want some inspiration check out the town of Stratford-upon-Avon.. Lots of Wattle & Daub half timbered structures there. Or look up Elizabethan Buildings or Wattle & Daub buildings in google images. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to check out pictures of Stratford-upon-Avon. I'm planning to shamelessly cheat and use basswood to make walls if I can't mess with the MDF. But I did get a jigsaw so we'll see how I do with it.

      Delete