Sunday, September 17, 2017

Towels & Shower Curtains, Among Other Things

I spent some more time arguing with the hinged wall but thankfully without having anything go too terribly wrong.  I think part of the issue is how I set the hinges in.  Next time I'll just adjust the join of the wall and put the hinges on the outside to be covered by the siding.  I'm also going to do a very thorough search for some long skinny screws so they don't pull out so easily.

But this weekend I put some thought into the bathroom and how cluttered I actually wanted it.  I want a few things of makeup and a comb, toothpaste and a toothbrush.  Our Tiny House dweller is a fairly minimalistic person.

I bought some velour in an ivory color and cut it up to use for towels and a wash cloth.  So far I like how they look.



Light enough to contrast with the walls, trim and floors, but not clashing with the fixtures.  Oh!  Yeah, see? I glued the fixtures in.




Also the buttons to flush the toile and the shower curtain.

I made the shower curtain out of a piece of plastic that I crumpled, hot ironed on the edges and then glued into place.  The curtain hooks are black wire and the curtain rod is a chopstick, cut to length and painted bronze.

I thought about making a cloth shower curtain but I'd have to match colors or do a neutral like the towels and honestly, I wanted the clear.  That's what so many people have because it lets light into the shower.

 I got the waste basket, soap dish and cup from Miniatures.com in the Bargain Basement.  I like the black to play off the aged bronze hardware.  I added a few tissues and things to the waste basket just to make the bathroom look lived in.


Along with the flush buttons for the toilet I got light switches and my faucet for the kitchen.  So I painted them all a pearl sheen and glued them into place.  I wanted one on the outside of the bathroom, to turn the light on before you go in the room.


One to go near the sink for the lights overhead.
 

You can see my kitchen faucet here too.  I primed it, painted it black and then used the bronze paint over the black to give it an aged bronze look.  I actually like how it looks better than the last one because it's darker.

And there's a light switch just inside the front door.  You won't be able to really see it with the window bench built ins in place but I'll know its there.  Of course I forgot to take a picture of it too.  I'm sleep deprived this weekend for some reason.

I didn't want baseboards to interfere with the built ins, but I did need them in the few places I don't have cabinets against the walls.  So I got them cut and fitted to the bathroom walls and the spot between the fridge and the hall tree under the window.



They make the house look more finished to me.  I only have one more piece, to go under the desk in the kitchen and I'll do that in a bit.

A little liquid soap/lotion dispenser came with the bathroom accessories and since my homeowner doesn't have a dishwasher I put it near the kitchen sink for lotion after washing the dishes.


In order to keep from bumping and possibly breaking the porch light I've been keeping it covered with the plastic shell from its package.  So far it seems to be working.


I glued the bathroom ceiling in and its still drying, but I got the battery hidden in the cabinet and everything still looks good to me.  What do you think?


I did one last thing for my tiny home owner before I started to tell you all about it.  Now I just need to get her some wine to go in the glasses.



I've got some wine bottles.  I'll have to slot them in so my homeowner doesn't loose her mind during construction.

See what I mean about the area under the desk?  It needs a baseboard too.  And maybe a bit more paint.  But still, progress right?

I need to measure out how big a base I'll need and figure out my landscaping once I get my porch built.  I really ought to make a list.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!


16 comments:

  1. Definitely progress Sheila, and looking great. I like those bathroom lights. Can I make a tiny suggestion? You can of course choose to ignore this, but I think a thin strip along the front of the kitchen cupboards to cover the gap between cupboards and floor would finish them off nicely. It is really starting to look like a home now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You're totally right on the cupboards where they meet the floor. I was staring at it today and trying to figure out what was wrong with them. It'll probably be something very thin or maybe some painted out thin cardboard.

      Delete
  2. The bathroom is coming along nicely - I really like the light fixtures too. I also like the kitchen faucet. It is basically the one I have in my real life house! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how they turned out. And I'm in love with that faucet. I'd like one in real life. But then it would make the rest of my kitchen look awful!

      Delete
  3. I'm in awe of the bathroom!! It's so well thought out and the accessories fit wonderfully. That shower curtain is perfection!!

    Every time you show the kitchen it keeps getting even better. I love the glasses holder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was worried the curtain would look bad but once I got it in and smushed together it looks more like it should. Like it has a few watermarks on it.

      Delete
  4. I love your bathroom, Sheila, nice accessoires and the lights are just perfect! This room has everything I want in real life ;O! I also like this color scheme: natural wood and beautiful colors, so gorgeous! Great work!
    Your house looks already cosy, great progress.
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate it. It's what I'd like in a bathroom as well. I'm hoping things continue in the same way.

      Delete
  5. Wow, everything looks great! The velour works wonderfully, and the shower curtain is just perfect. The bathroom mirror is very craftsman looking. Perhaps a little rug to step out of the shower onto?

    I second Shannon's suggestion of a kick plate for the kitchen cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've got some fabric I'm going to use for a rug. I just need to do some work on it. You and Shannon are totally right about the kickplate.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sheila! I Love all the details you've added! They really begin to make the house a "home"! The soap dispenser at the sink is perfect, as is the faucet.... the towels look really luxurious and I like the clear bath curtain... it means you can see the lovely paneling! There are so many little pieces that never seem obvious but add to the overall realism... and switch plates are one of them! Keep up the great work, it is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Little bits and pieces here and there... and things seem to fall into place.

      Delete
  7. Love all those thoughtful details! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally copied your glasses holder near the wine rack idea.

      Delete
  8. I love everything you have done. I am following your progress and I get excited every time you post, this house is full of great ideas. The bathroom is great but that curtain shower is marvellous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! And I was so nervous about the shower curtain!

      Delete