Sunday, September 24, 2017

Crown Molding, Flooring & Front Door

Much craziness at work this past week and more to come this week as we are moving on Friday.  During all of that I'm trying to get new contacts fitted during a lunch hour and everything has just been... Well...

I don't like non specific things.  I like a good solid plan that I can keep in mind when I'm adjusting my routine.  It's hard to deal with deadlines when you don't know how much time you have remaining.

So its been nice this weekend to not think about it and just work on the dollhouse.

I mentioned that I wanted to put some crown molding in around the ceiling of the flat roof.  So with a little research I figured out how I wanted it to look and how to make it.  Craftsman trim is mostly right angles. Very few curves or diagonals.  Crown molding also tends to extend over the ceiling somewhat which looked interesting to me.

Like so.


So I got some corner trim and wood lengths and glued them together.




I also decided to extend the trim along the edge of the ceiling.


I've added the lower part of the trim on the back wall of the bathroom and across the front so it looks cohesive when the bathroom is in place.


Lots of miter cutting and bracing to make sure everything stayed in place while the glue dried.

I glued the doorknobs on the front door and then decided I wanted the exterior to have some additional detail.  Again, scrap wood, sanded to look like metal and pieces of toothpick inserted into drilled holes and painted with black metallic paint.



Then I glued it into the front wall and put the trim on the inside.  I'm actually happy with how it looks.






You can see my light switch now too.

I got the flooring for my loft cut, stained and glued in.  I used the red oak again, but this time without the cherry over it.  I think it turned out nicely.



I think the little chest works nicely with the lamp.  The blues play off each other.

Then I just needed to get the edge trim cut and installed.  I'm really happy with how it looks.




More miter angles.  Stained with cherry so there's a little difference between the trim and the floors.

I've got my ladder and I'm just trying to find my bronze or black wire to attach it.  I put it somewhere and now I can't find it.  Drives me nuts when I do that.  I'll figure it out.

Working on adding some of the trim to the outside of the house. I've got most of it painted white and I'll glue it on later today or next weekend.

Still haven't routed out the wire channels on the roof yet. I really need to do that before I vacuum.  We'll see.  Still thinking about roofing material.  I'm leaning towards wood shingles.  Knowing me I'll probably debate right up until I start gluing the roofing on.

Hope everyone else's weekend is going well!

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Took a while but I think its worth it.

      Delete
  2. The front door and the upstairs floor look great. I also like what you have done with the crown molding. Your work is inspiring - great photos too!
    Keep up the good work - Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying to just build up all the details that tend to sit in the background but really contribute to the overall feel of the house. Nice to know it's working. And that my picture taking is improving too.

      Delete
  3. Love the added details, and the front door is especially fabulous! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was excited to get the door in. Trim for the outside is next on the list.

      Delete
  4. I love the way you did all the trims! They look perfect! The door hardware is awesome and so craftsman-y. You're getting so close to the end now - it must feel great when you think of all the challenges you've overcome and how wonderful the results are. Good luck with the work move and the deadlines, and finding that elusive wire! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That trim did not want to stay on the ceiling. Now I need to start making upholstered furniture so I can add one last lamp. More do some and wait for glue to dry so I've got the exterior trim to do at the same time.

      Delete
  5. I love how you did all the trims, and I love the added details. The front door is well done, great work :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm debating a door knocker but I'm not sure about it yet.

      Delete
  6. Great job with the trims. The front doors look wonderful. I love the handle.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I tried to make one from scratch but it just didn't look right so I found this one on ebay and painted it black.

      Delete
  7. I love how your house is turning out, all those amazing details. That door is fabulous! But I have to say that my favourite part is following your progress, it makes me feel part of the journey. I have indeed learned a lot from you! Keep it up, you are getting there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I learn a lot as I go along so hopefully each project goes more smoothly than the last!

      Delete
  8. The trim looks wonderful! It really gives it that square "craftsman" look! And I absolutely LOVE the strap hinges on the door! It's looking Great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to make everything look polished up.

      Delete