Sunday, September 3, 2017

A Couple More Steps...Forward This Time

So after yesterday's setback I managed to get the wall reattached to the hinges.  And while the glue was drying (again) I started work on the interior chimney.

I just used balsa wood and braced it on the inside before texturing it and then painting it.  I got it glued to the fireplace and taped into place against the wall.  The biggest problem was making sure it stuck to the wall and not the floor.  It'll swing out with the wall when I open it.


Very glamorous looking right?

I glued most of the windows into the walls, making sure everything fit properly and gluing them in.  The outer trim isn't glued in yet but I like how the windows look inside.

I actually painted the chimney with the mystery paint which is a shade or two darker than the walls.  It doesn't really show in the pictures very well. 


That all took some time so in between all the steps I started working on a hall tree.  It's not going to be a built in, but it's a place to put coats and shoes and what have you inside the door. 


This is before I got it painted. 


Here it is with the paint and hardware.

And it'll go in this corner.


It's not deep enough that it'll run into the door trim but it's large enough to make the space look like it's not empty.

I painted it Oyster Beige because I didn't want it to be the same color as the kitchen cabinets but I wanted a neutral shade.  The bronze hardware still shows up and everything goes nicely with the floors.  When the paint is completely dry I'll add some short legs to the bottom.  That'll make it a little over six feet.

I've got to glue the front of the house on next and then I can get the ceiling over the kitchen and entry on.  But before I glue on the wall I need to add the front porch light and get the wiring all hidden.  Without breaking the porch light.  That won't be easy.  But I think I've got an idea.

Wish me luck and Happy early Labor Day everyone.

16 comments:

  1. Everything's looking great :)

    The grout in the kitchen is impressive, I don't think I could have done that in site without making a huge mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually cheated a bit and used a syringe to squeeze it into the hard to reach places.

      The front wall is next. Pray for me!

      Delete
  2. The hall stand looks great! Hope the hinged door works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased with it. So far so good on the hinges!

      Delete
  3. Everything is looking great. I really like the idea of making the hall tree a different color than the cabinets. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Strangely, in pictures, the color doesn't show as well. But it's coming along nicely.

      Delete
  4. The hall tree is great and I love the fireplace with the colored tiles.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  5. *applause* Marvelous work on the chimney wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A brief moment of panic occurred when some of the glue behind the fireplace dripped to the floor and tried to stick the wall in place but thankfully it pulled apart without any damage.

      Delete
  6. I've had to catch up on some of your back posts before I got to this one Shelia however it appears that you have been going FULL OUT with the new chimney breast and your kitchen which is WONDERFUL! I love the red aga with the turquoise fridge, a PERFECT combination. and the neutral cupboards in in the kitchen pair well with your new corner hall stand. WOWEE!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited about how it's turning out.

      Delete
  7. The coat tree is just fabulous Shelia! Love all the trimming on it! The white makes the hardware pop!
    I completely feel the pain of having those walls decide to fall over and off. So glad to hear you're getting everything attached :) Reading through your previous posts and I can't even begin to say how impressed I am! The kitchen looks fantastic! I'm so excited to see more interior shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted something that wasn't quite craftsman but had some things that would make it fit in with the rest of the house.

      So far the walls are staying on. Here's hoping that doesn't change!

      Delete
  8. The entry cabinet is wonderful! I love it! It's also exciting to see the fireplace wall in the space! All the elements are starting to come together quickly now - Yippee! :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Feels like some big steps and then I'll have several little ones to go after each big one. I've got some feet on the entry cabinet now so it looks a bit more finished. More pictures next weekend.

      Delete