In order to give the locks something to actually slide into I had to build up the frame of the windows first. I used 1/8 x 1/8 bass wood and glued it to the windows then painted or stained it.
Then I added the hardware.
I swear the hardest thing was trying to get the wire straight and I'm still not sure I managed it completely.
The double windows were pretty easy. The single windows I ended up using 1/16 x 1/8 for one side with an added length of 1/8 x 1/8 next to it so I could get the right look.
Then I framed them out. And I made sure that I added window ledges to this house. Sadly, not quite deep enough for a cat to sit on but still, aesthetically pleasing I think.
|Believe it or not the paint color hasn't changed. It's weird how lighting will make colors light or dark.|
See what I mean about the wire? It bothers me even though I doubt anyone else really notices it.
I've only been able to put the doors and the upper story windows in. The first floor windows are still drying and I want them very firmly set before I start putting them in.
The other thing that'll hold up me putting the walls on the house is a dilemma I'm having about the curtains. I bought some fabric and I have an idea of how I want the first floor curtains to look in the front room. The rest of the house... yeah, not so sure.
I know I don't want to completely block out the hardware I just spent two days on. So covering the windows is out. But I want some realism too.
Like I said dilemma.
I got one more thing done this weekend. Finally put the handles on the front door. It started out this bright shiny brass but I aged it up some with some black metallic paint.
So that's it for this weekend. I'm planning on sitting for a while and researching curtains.