Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Places To Sit Upon!

I'm so excited I could squeak!  Seriously.  Guys I'm vibrating here.

My chairs are on their way!

Lemme 'splain... No, there is too much. Lemme sum up.

I ordered some chairs from Janet Harvie on Etsy.  And if you haven't checked out her shop go here and do so.  Go ahead. I'll wait.

See?  See?  The awesomeness that is her furniture?

I waited a bit and saved my money because I wanted to order two chairs at once.  And then Janet and I went back and forth for a bit about color and sizing.  I sent her a couple pictures of the parlor wallpaper and the red couch I'm using so she would have an idea of my colors.

I ordered the Modern Square Miniature Wing Chair and the Caster Chair.  And Janet just sent me the email saying they were on their way.  And she sent me a picture of what they look like!


Aren't they gorgeous?  When they arrive I'll take some more pictures.  Can't wait to see how they look in the parlor/front room.

In other news...I had been debating making heat registers like Kris shows in her tutorials.  Like these.  Love how they look.  But the size of them would cut into the wainscoting and I honestly couldn't think of a good place to put them on the walls.

Then I remembered some of the old houses in the town where I grew up.  I baby sat for some folks who bought this grand old Victorian and it was gorgeous.  The heat registers/vent covers were set into the floor.  And that's something I can work with.

My idea is to get some of these jewelry findings and clip off the ends until I'm left with something roughly rectangular.  Frame them out and glue them down to the floor.  Then dry brush with black metallic paint so they look aged.  Or, you know, paint them before I glue them down.  That might work out better.


I think that'll work out fairly well.  I bought a bunch so I've got some room for error.  I'm curious to hear feedback on this idea because I can't recall seeing it done in miniature.  Any suggestions? Comments? Great thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. Your chairs are fantastic Sheila! And yes, the vents in the floor will work - they are very common in Australia, as many houses, including Victorian ones, are built on stumps. I think your idea to cut down the jewelry findings will be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got that email and picture and started bouncing in my chair I was so happy.

      That's how a lot of houses in New Orleans are built too. Up on bricks or concrete foundations.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful chairs! Great choices. I'm excited to see them in their finished rooms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Janet does wonderful work. I have to stop myself from buying out her shop. That would be bad for the credit card.

      Delete
  3. Love the chairs! And I think the vents will look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited and nervous about the chairs. I did a floor plan and measured but I still worry it'll be too crowded. Have to see when they arrive.

      I'm hoping the vents will turn out well. They'll be interesting to look at I think.

      Delete
  4. Those chairs are GORGEOUS!

    About the vents...
    You'd have to remove sections of the hardwood floor so they would sit flush, because it would look odd if they sat on top. And let me go through my stash to see if I have something more suitable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got square metal filigree, black(ish), in the right size. I can't find your email address. Email me.

    ReplyDelete