Well I was very excited to start using my crackle medium. But before I started to really work on finishing the walls I did a quick doublecheck to make sure all my windows and doors would fit in the openings. If I had to make adjustments, better to do it before I had a couple of layers of crackle and paint on it.
After a little bit of tweaking they fit pretty well.
The underlayer is actually a lot darker than it looks here. I didn't want a stark black though. More the look you get when a house has been painted over and over, changing colors without scraping off the old paint.
I'm such a dork. I was so excited when the crackle medium dried and I got to spread on the light paint. It was so cool to watch it start to crack.
Here are some of my walls.
I globbed (technical term) the crackle on in some places and then went light in others. Afterwards I messed with a it a bit, to make it look as if the house owner tried to do some spot painting to get the worst of the spots.
I also painted the corner pieces. I'm planning on doing the window panes in black, with a minimum of crackle and then the window trim in white with black underneath, nice and weathered looking.
The front windows will be more elaborate with the pediments over them and those will be appropriately worn looking as well. Then there's the brackets to support the balcony and the balcony posts and railings... This will be a lot of fun.
I also took a moment to cut out my second floor and draw out where I want my walls. And practiced the bathroom layout.
I think I like the second one a little better. Haven't decided on the fixtures yet. These are just what I had available for testing.
I've got a Chrysobon bathroom kit that I'd like to try out. I've never worked with one before so the idea makes me a little nervous.
We'll see. I definitely want a bathroom that feels as old as the house.
Anyway, that's the progress so far. Hoping to get more done this weekend.