Sunday, February 9, 2020

Shall We Begin?

I'd like to begin by saying that even for accountants, doing your taxes... no fun.

I spent part of my Saturday doing that.  And then because two things had arrived on Thursday I got to start playing around with my new kit!

First thing I opened was the bust of Pallas.


As you can tell from the bits and pieces it's plastic and requires assembly.  I'll build it some sort of wooden base and paint it all the same color to get a stone effect.

The bust is sitting on top of the unopened kit.


So I got my books out and lined them up.


I'm a little odd in that I can't stand the thought of actually hurting old antique books.  So I'll beat these up, distress them and make them look a bit more antique-ish.  I've got a lot of books from my grandmother that are very old and they're all coming apart so at least I've got examples.

I'm testing the window and door placement.


I'm thinking of having the smaller window on the 'wall' kitty corner from the door.  But nothing's finalized yet.

I started to glue all the pages together so I can cut them out and leave a 'roof' of the pages and hardcovers.  My goal is to keep the room only eleven inches deep as that's the depth of my bookshelves.  The ones where I keep another house.


I'll have to move some books around, but I think it can be done.

And of course, we can't forget, the Building Inspector is keeping an eye on my progress thus far.


I hope everyone else is having a great weekend!  I'm excited, Keli is doing the contest this year, and Brae mentioned she's already got something in mind as well.

This is going to be such a fun year.  I can't wait to see!

12 comments:

  1. This is very exciting! Love your bust of Pallas. What a great find! I completely empathize with you on not wanting to destroy antique books. I'll be interested to see how you cut out the space for the room. Glad the building inspector is keeping on eye on things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it's the same: those antique books are too good, or cherished to destroy them for a project like this, Sheila! I will follow again your new project, it has an interesting start already.
    Hehehe, I had to laugh seeing the curious Building Inspector again ;).
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are we so sentimental about old books....yes, me too.... not really logical. Any way happy journey with these books and I am so looking forward to following the project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your construction inspector is very serious! :) :) :)
    I like your new project. I'm waiting for the sequel!
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excited to see your progress. I have a shelf of books that I have been waiting to construct into a room box too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting! Looks like it's going to be a another great project to follow, for us as well as for the building inspector.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  7. And so it begins... Yippee! I am going to learn so much about cutting books and enjoy every moment of your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila! New projects are so exciting! All that potential waiting for your input! I love the bust you bought, it will look very grand! I am like you in not wanting to cut up books... especially old ones! This is going to be a lot of fun to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh. I am so relieved that you are not butchering beautiful old books! This is such an fabulous idea and I am really looking forward to following this year's adventure.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, now you've got everything at hand to start. It will be such fun to follow your progress and seeing your vision come to life. The Athena bust you've bought looks already awesome and it will be stunning once you've assembled and painted it.

    I suppose it was a lot of work to glue all those books sites together. And I can understand that you're reluctant to damage those books. I don't know if it's my German DNA but damaging books makes me shiver…

    And not to forget congrats for your honorable mention in that contest - very well deserved.

    Greetings
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel the same about old books. :)
    Your project is so intresting already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to watch this build unfold as the year goes on! I'm really excited by your idea and I love how it will go on a bookshelf at the end. I think you'll be fine with damaging the books once they've been turned into art :)

    ReplyDelete