Sunday, March 24, 2019

Making Windows and the Front Elevation

The Building Inspector has decided that the empty space provided by the wall repair should be occupied.  




What I wasn't able to capture on camera was her apprentice actually on top of the dollhouse roof.  I'm so glad those magnets are strong.  Nothing came crashing down but now I'm really wracking my brain for some way to keep the cats off of it.  Maybe Cecelia Alyce could put a spell on it to make it impervious to feline predations.

I'll keep working on it.

Though it is good and sturdy when I think that Jack weighs almost twenty pounds and nothing broke.

He also decided to look over the living room from a greater height than usual.  Crazy cat.




But I did decide on Saturday to bite the bullet and make the windows for the Downtown Loft.  I'd purchased some but the tall side window and the skylights would need some custom frames made.

That took me a pretty good part of Saturday. 





I also did some more work on the spiral staircase.  I got it primed with gesso and I think having it a uniform color looks good.  I'll paint it black sooner or later.


I'm not entirely thrilled with how the spindles are leaning a bit but I think once I get it into the house it won't be as noticeable.

Sunday I started to work on the front elevation for the bookstore.  I wanted to fancy it up a bit so I tried a few different things.  Some of my jewelry findings and wood trim.






The jewelry findings and the smaller wood trim didn't really work for me.  But I liked how the larger pieces looked.  

So I added some raised panels to the second floor lower sections.


That gave the second floor a little echo of the first floor.  And I added my trim back.


I thought about adding some of the jewelry findings to the panels.


I still might.  But right now I think simple works better.  I added some crown molding to the upper portion of the second floor and some quarter round and half round trim.  I also added some baseboard to the bottom. It fancies it up a bit and disguises the joins between the two pieces.  I only had one piece of it and it was broken so this was a good use for it.

I also cut some pieces for my mansard roof out of foamcore board.  I painted them black because it's my experience that if you don't no matter what something white shows through when you take a picture.  Then I got my dormer openings cut out.



My biggest concern is that it's looking more Parisian than Victorian London.  The good news is that if I decide I hate the scrollwork I can pry it off.

I'm thinking about how to finish the outside, the type of floors I want and the layout of the third floor.  I've got some fancier flooring and beadboard left from NOLA House so I might try to use some of that.  But I don't want to complicate things too much.  Maybe I could do a herringbone floor on the ground level?  I'll need to think about it.

Some good news is that if I need filler books I can borrow from the study in the Gothic Victorian.  And I have plenty of kits to make furniture.  Still debating whether I should paint the bookshelves in the shop or stain them.  Stain might be more traditional.  And I've got plenty from when I was working on the barewood furniture for the WQRC.

I'm trying to remember to post to Instagram as well as the blog but I'll admit it's not my favorite.  I'm better at writing than I am picture taking.  How are all of you doing?


24 comments:

  1. Sheila, you are making impressive progress. I'm very jealous. I get certified on the laser cutter on Thursday and then I still have to reserve time to cut my extra pieces (boring). For what's it's worth, I like the jewelry findings on the panels, but adding them might, as you fear, bring it more Paris than London so what do I know. Paris tends to be more rounded and flowery than London architecture so simple is better.

    I'm also curious how you attach your walls so that you can still take pictures later. I'm thinking I will leave them detachable so that I can capture the inside of the building easier. thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really pleased with how it's working so far. I agree with you about the rounded and flowery. That's part of why I'm not sure about the filigree parts.

      I'm planning on having magnets attach the front wall and portions of the back wall so I can remove them to get at wiring and take pictures.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sheila. Looks good! I still think it looks London-ish, but the scrolls do give it a European vibe. I like the panels you added under the upstairs windows. And yes, simpler is better for this. Have a great week! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Shannon, Thanks! I'm still debating the scrollwork. I need to do more research.

      Have a great week back!

      Delete
  3. You have made more progress again! I'm curious to see what you'll come up with regarding to keep your cats away from your miniature builds ;O.
    You say that you're not good in taking photographs, Sheila, but I always do admire your ability to describe your plans into words on a blog. For me it's vice versa ;).
    I've now also dicovered that it's good to make plans for progression and to see what will happen with a building when you try to make choices.... I experienced the same with the buid of my miniature farm, I always have to think two steps forward in doing and that's tricky when it appears to be not a good step ;).
    Hug, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Written communication is something that's always come easily to me. But photography is really hard. Especially when you don't have steady hands all the time.

      Keeping the cats away... Still working on that.

      And planning, oh yeah, lots of my free time is spent plotting out how to accomplish something.

      Delete
  4. It's been a while since I checked in and your progress is astonishing. It does lean a little bit towards French, but your choice of colors will affect the end result as much as the flourishes.
    You need an electric fence around your dollhouse! Though I have to say, if I was a cat, that dragon on the chimney would be too tempting to resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I am still debating the scrollwork. I might end up taking it off and doing something different. Maybe some stone look corbels to support the third floor.

      Thanking still.

      Yeah, the cats and the dollhouse... They'd just jump over an electric fence.

      Delete
  5. You did a lot! I like the final version you have chosen but I also like the jewelry adds. They look nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kamelia! I like the panels, but I'm still debating about the scroll work.

      Delete
  6. Nice job! The windows look great, and I know how fussy it can be to get them to square up properly. I admit, I like the floral jewelry findings (option 3), but they might be too much with the other scroll work, which is lovely. I hope you decide to keep it. :-) Now if only the cats will leave it alone. . . . Love the picture of Jack with his laser beam eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a lot of trouble measuring the insides to get the right frames. But finally I got them done.

      I like the scrollwork but at the same time, I don't want the building to look French and between the shape of the dormers and the scrollwork it feels like it's skewing in that direction.

      Delete
  7. Great progress! I love the scrollwork above the entrance. Try to see if the building will look less Parisian if you keep this one without the rest. I love how the facade looks with all the windows. It looks like you have a winner in process.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I'm pretty happy with the windows. I love those dormers too.

      Delete
  8. I always associate a mansard roof with French/European-style architecture and English /Victorian with Flat roof however, I know that many of the English incorporated various styles from the continent after they'd returned home from a Grand Tour; just look at Brighton Palace and the Indian Influence there!

    elizabeth
    p.s. I love the scroll work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I wonder if I'm using the wrong term. I've seen English building's with flat top roofs and that steep angle, and the captions have labeled them Mansard. But other sources show the steep angle and then a more shallow angle (reminds me of a barn roof) and called that Mansard.

      i'm going for the flat roof version. One set of angles to figure out is enough for me!

      Delete
  9. Hi Sheila! The windows you built for the loft look wonderful and modern! The spiral stairs will always look more cohesive in a single color... and black is what people think of when they think metal stairs... I think they will look great! As for the French vs. English question.... Parisian roof-lines were the original Mansard roofs... the sloping sides with the dormer windows is very distinctive. The English Victorian buildings were often red brick and had more traditional peaked roofs... although the Victorian styles borrowed from all eras. I do think your building is leaning towards the French side.... but I do love the details of the facade with the scrollwork added. I guess you will have to follow your hunches and I am sure the end result will be wonderful! I am looking forward to the books...!
    Oh, and the only cat solution I can think of is to get a Large pet cage.... strong wire mesh and set it over the building.... I know.... it would keep everybody out... including you! So maybe not a solution at all. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I'm definitely painting the stairs black. A base and then black metallic on top.

      I'm probably going to do the building in red brick. And what I've seen are these brick buildings with the wooden façade over brick. with the partial third floor being brick above the wood.

      Yeah, the cage would work. But it would be something expensive and I swear my cats would figure out a way to get in.

      Delete
  10. I really love the shape of this building, Sheila. And the job you're doing with it as well! I did notice that in one of the earlier pictures where it was just the jewellery findings in the panels, it looked just like many buildings that can be found in small communities in Eastern Canada. These would have been built by United Empire Loyalists. If you look at pictures for places like Sussex, New Brunswick, St. Andrews, NB or even the older parts of Dartmouth/Halifax, this was definitely a style the British built in the early days. Although many did have flat roofs, there are some with Mansard roofs as well. I'll be excitedly watching your progress! Great work. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I'm really enjoying the build now that I've got most of the planning for lights and such figured out.

      I've been trying to look at old pictures of Victorian London for inspiration. I'll have to do searches for the locations you've given me. This should be fun!

      Delete
  11. The facade is looking awesome! I am sure you'll find just the right combination of finishes so there'll be no doubt you're seeing a British bookshop! Sometimes knowing when to say when with embellishments is the hardest part! Great job getting all the loft windows finished - I know it feels good to make visible progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I'm pleased that I'm actually getting something done! Figuring out flooring should be next on my list. I know that I need to get the outside finishes done before I glue things in place or I'll never get anything to stay.

      Delete
  12. Your building inspectors are quite busy... I'd be nervous too.
    So much progress! I love the added details to the front, it's looking very grand. And the more windows you have the less bricking you'll have to do! I still am amazed you are doing two projects in the same week. The loft windows look great and I'm sure it's nicer to have both builds around the same construction stage.

    Looking forward to seeing what you've accomplished this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are busy. And I'll end up killing them both.

      I think I'll still have a lot of bricking to do. The sides and back will still need it.

      It's a lot harder to do two projects but I'm endeavoring to persevere. I really want to make progress with the loft, it's been sitting for almost two years.

      Delete