Sunday, March 31, 2019

Inventory and Walls

I still haven't come up with a plan to keep the cats off the WQRC but so far they haven't done any more damage.

The first thing I did on Saturday was to paint the spiral staircase black and then another layer of black metallic.  I like how it looks so far.


But afterwards while it was drying I was trying to figure out what I had for the kitchen and bathroom and everything and I found some flagstone paper I could use for the flooring. It's a pretty beige/yellow/brown and it'll look great on the first floor.  But the black staircase was going to stand out in a big way.  And I didn't know how well the two would mesh.

So I found some of my metallic paint in bronze/chocolate brown and dry brushed it over the black.


Here's the flagstone flooring paper.  I think the brownish metallic warms up the black just enough that it isn't too much against the flagstone.



I still haven't figured out the kitchen.  But I do have a bunch of different counters and things.  I'll have to play around with them in the space to see what I want to use.

I was also debating a feature wall but I don't want to use wallpaper or anything to make it.  So I think I'll end up with textured paint on the walls and one of them a different color than the rest.  Still working that out.  I ended up going through a lot of my stash looking for different things and figuring out furniture.

I was also thinking about the exterior.  I like the idea of a modern stucco.  But I don't know how I'd finish the corners and edges.  The other thing I like is a board and batten look.  I have time so I'm still thinking about it.

For the bookstore I spent some time working on the interior walls.  I've got ten inch ceilings for the first and second floor.  The third floor is nine inches but the ceilings are angled as well.  So I had to take those into account.

I worked out where my walls on the second floor would be a few weeks ago.  Today I got some of my scrap wood cut and glued to actually build them.  I also had to make a false door leading to the non-existent stairs to the third floor.

That took a bit of doing but luckily I had some trim and balsa that worked for the paneling and doorframe.



I did my best to match the paneling on the door I'm using as the third floor entrance.  I didn't want them to look too different.



I stained it red mahogany but I'm still debating if I'd rather paint it instead.  Maybe a nice dark brown door?  Or black?  I'm not sure.


The walls for the living quarters were a little more tricky.  I had to keep the angle of the roof in mind.



I'm thinking that I might try to do some paneling around the lower/straight portion of the walls and then a wallpaper over a chair rail on the angled portions.

That was the other reason for my inventory Saturday, figuring out what I have for wallpaper and how I want to finish the walls on the lower floors.  They'll be mostly covered by the bookshelves but the parts that show would look nice with a dark wallpaper or paint.  Still debating.

I also was messing around with some fancy flooring for the second floor.  I'm still not sure about it.


I love the flooring but I still think it might be too busy.  I need to look into the types of floors that were popular in the Victorian era.  I think they mostly had narrow boards.  The wider planks were for less elegant homes.

Maybe a couple of popsicle stick floors?  We'll see.

The other thing I did was figure out where I'd need to put the chandelier for the ship.  It'll need to hang down from the second floor ceiling above the opening in the second floor.  So I figured out my walls and where they'd hit on the ceiling and outlined the opening.


That'll also help me figure out where I want the wood moldings.  I'm going to paint them to look like plaster.  They're just decorative wood trim from Hobby Lobby but once they're painted it'll look like plaster.

At least that's what I'm hoping for.

How are all of you doing?  I need to go read blogs after I get some of my chores done.  Things are getting a little messy around here.

30 comments:

  1. Sheila - I love the bronze look of the stairs; it does soften the look to work with the floors. I finally got certified on the laser cutter so I'm hoping to get my walls cut very soon and begin working on my #HBSCreatinContest2019 entry :)
    Dee (http://designinminiature.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was hoping for that effect.

      I can't wait to see what you come up with for the contest!

      Delete
  2. Sheila - I meant to tell you. I have a suggestion for you cat problems. It looks like they are jumping first onto the base and then wandering onto the roof. That's good news because it means you can try this trick. Loosely cover the base with tin foil. When they jump onto the table, the sound and feel of the foil will scare them off. You may be lucky and find that it works quickly and they simply avoid the area in future. Dee (http://designinminiature.blogspot.com).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly the problem was with the garden and tree they were jumping from the floor to the roof. Now they're on the empty spot and sniffing around but so far nothing else has been broken.

      The tinfoil trick is something I'll have to try. I was thinking of getting crushed red pepper and scattering it around the base.

      Delete
  3. You're making great progress! It's the little touches that bring it to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hopefully going to get further with the loft next week.

      Delete
  4. The stairs look so realistic with the bronze look, Sheila, it's a good finishing and softens the transition to the floor.
    I'm curious to see more of this building, you've promising and well thought out plans.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! That's what I hoping for and it's nice that it worked out the way I want.

      I'm excited to at least get the flooring down for the loft, and if I'm lucky figure out some of the lights.

      Delete
  5. The bronze look is very good on the staircase. I'd love to see the next steps when your plans come to life.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora! I'm excited with how this is going. Hopefully things keep clicking along.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sheila,
    Every time I see that staircase I smile. It is coming along beautifully and I think the dry brushing works really well. The door is great, but I think the difference in color between the frame and the door is just a bit too pronounced...did you consider painting the lot with a base coat and then going over with the mahogany stain? I am really looking forward to seeing more of this project...you have wonderful ideas.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! Thank you! It makes me happy too.

      I agree with you on the door. I was thinking if I paint it a nice black and then put a semi-gloss over it it'll work out better. Part of the problem with the trim is the little grooves and how I couldn't get the stain in them my first go round.

      Hugs!
      Sheila

      Delete
  7. The door looks great Sheila, and the dry brushing on the stairs really gives them a nice detail! All of the figuring and layout details take so long but are so important! I can't wait to see the choices you make and how your vision unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I was hoping the bronze would warm them up a bit. I need to go though my paint and figure out what colors I want to use.

      Delete
  8. You're making great progress! I love how the stairs look so realistic with the bronze coverage. And of coures the doors looks great. I can't wait to see next progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like I'm going very slowly. But I don't mind too much.

      Delete
  9. Your stairs look Lovely Sheila and you are making steady progress on your English-style bookstore- Keep up the Great Work! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'm hoping to make more progress with the loft soon.

      Delete
  10. The spiral staircase is really looking good! This is an exciting project with lots of possibilities - it stirs the imagination :) Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy! I really want to do brown and blue in the loft... not aqua like the Craftsman cottage but a good darker blue like denim almost. With browns and tans to go with it. I was thinking if I wanted a feature wall I could do a geometric design with a stencil or something in different shades and colors.

      Delete
  11. Those stairs are looking so good Sheila. Inventory is a good idea. I need to do one myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If I hadn't I might have never found my paper for the floors.

      Delete
  12. The staircase looks wonderful. Wonderful progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

      Delete
  13. I love your spiral staircase it is beautiful.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how your staircase turned out. It was very pretty in the black, but even lovelier in the bronze color. You are really making good progress on this build. I am very much enjoying watching it grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really happy with how it came out. I'm excited to get going on the loft more.

      Delete
  15. Hi Sheila! Sorry I am so late to comment! I think adding the bronze to your stairs was brilliant and achieved your goal of toning down the contrast with the flooring. It is amazing what a difference a little "color" can make! As for your book shop floors, I think they would not have been so fancy even in the Victorian times. Fancy floors were for fancy houses... a demonstration of the wealth... a shop would have been too ordinary and the wood would have been damaged by constant use. The walls in the attic are sure to be a challenge... but I am sure you can manage it! It looks like you are making good progress on all your tasks!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I was pleasantly surprised by how much the bronze improved the stairs. I think you're right about the floors. I need something much simpler for them. I love that fancy floor but I'd rather save it for a room box and know that it'll be in the right place.

      Delete
  16. I thought I had commented lol forgive my head. Your stairs are wonderful. I love the doors. This house has a lot of angels phew lol I am not so great at angled walls. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete