Sunday, January 20, 2019

The Christmas Lantern Part II

Another nice weekend.  I'm still a bit behind with work stuff but I'm trusting that I'll get caught up eventually.  Who knows, maybe I'll end up working next Saturday but we'll see how the week goes.

The Christmas lights arrived midweek.  So that was exciting.  I didn't want to put anything else on the tree until I got the lights on.  I need to get some more nine volt batteries.  Right now my tester battery has been stolen from the WQRC and she's going to be irked with me if she can't write at her desk because the battery for her light is gone.

I got started with them and my garland to go over the windows.  I was debating about different colors of tinsel and whether or not to use tinsel with the evergreen garland and eventually decided to go with red and gold ribbon, like the wreath.

Only phone pictures this time I'm afraid.




I dug out one of my candy dishes and some of the candies I got last year.  They look better on the table than the Christmas cookies.


The other thing I worked on this weekend was the chair for the lantern.  I tried to make a half scale version of Kris's upholstered chair tutorial.



I need to make some presents for under the tree.  I have some but they aren't to scale and they don't look right.

That's pretty much it for this week.  I'm a little excited.  Only a few more days until we start hearing about the Creatin' Contest results.


22 comments:

  1. I like the fabric you used on the chair. I think the little half scale version turned out well. I like the red and gold ribbon on the trim, too. Fingers still crossed for you on the Contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to get everything finished by the end of the week.

      Delete
  2. I love your garland! It turned out so nicely. I agree the candy is better.. are you going to paint the candy dish? I think you did a wonderful job on your half scale chair. Fingers and toes are crossed for you for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't plan to paint the candy dish, mostly because I chose the white for contrast with the wood and the red and white candy.

      Delete
  3. The garland as well as the chair turned out well, Sheila.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the Contest!!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! I'm pleased with how it's looking. Now that it's fully dry I'll double check for glue that's obvious

      Delete
  4. The garland and trims are so pretty against the wood, and the chair is just too cute! I am so impressed that you can easily switch to half scale! This just may be the answer to your space challenges in future builds! Good luck getting things caught up at work, and have extra fun in your free time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I don't know that I could do half scale all the time. There's a distinct lack of resources for it and I don't know that I have the patience to make every single thing myself.

      Delete
  5. The chair is beautiful. The little table with the lace trimmings and candy dish looks perfect beside the chair. I'm looking forward to see the tree. I'll hold my fingers crossed for you to get good results from the contest for your fantastic work.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora! I'm hoping to have some better pictures next week. And maybe the whole thing completed.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sheila! I am so far behind on reading blogs and comments.... but I think your Christmas lanterns are adorable! The tiny scale is part of the charm, I think. The little chair looks sweet... some of my favorite minis are tiny chairs... there is just something so inviting about them! Having the tiny lights on the tree too really makes it special! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I really like making them. Despite all the work. I might try a few for gifts next year. Or something like them. Tiny furnished birdhouses?

      Delete
  7. Hello Sheila,
    How adorable is that lantern. The garland looks lovely and you did a fantastic job on the chair.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giac! I'm really happy it's turning out so well. My first commission I want it to be good you know?
      Hugs!

      Delete
  8. Very cosy so far Sheila and I also really like the chair you've constructed which has a vintage flavour and a terrific color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lantern looks great. And the chair is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the garland! The chair looks great too. The whole lantern is going to be such a wonderful surprise and heart-warming gift. Wishing you all the best in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really pleased with how well it's going.

      Delete
  11. Sheila I love love love the garland! It's so pretty the way it drapes! And the bows are gorgeous! I can't wait to see the tree lit, I think it will add that little bit of magic. And how cool is it that you made that chair?? The fabric is so festive and opulent looking, great choice! Looking forward to seeing how things have progressed this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've gotten the lights all wired up and now I'm working on wrapped presents for under the tree and it should be done.

      Delete