Sunday, January 27, 2019

Christmas Lantern Part III

This weekend I finished up the Christmas Lantern.  Once I got that done I pretty much lazed around and plotted and planned about the 2019 kit and watched home improvement shows.  There's one set in Chicago and I love seeing the skyline and neighborhoods.  I grew up in the suburbs but that skyline reminds me of home as much as snow and ice.

I made several presents to go under the tree in the lantern.  And made sure that any excess glue was removed from the chair.  That took a bit of time.

The presents are balsa wood cut into small pieces and sanded then painted white, red and green.  I had tissue paper in those colors left from Christmas so I used that as my wrapping paper.  

Once I figured out where I could place the 'presents' I began to glue everything in.





I wanted one last little touch so I made a throw pillow and added it to the chair.  I used some straight pins to hold it down and make it look a bit squished, as if Santa has been sitting on it.


Once the glue was dry I took them out.  I think it works pretty well.




Here are a few shots of it from varying angles.





I tested out the lights and took a few pictures of it in the dark.



I think it came out nicely.  I hope Chris and his wife like it.

I'm really excited to start getting emails about the Creatin' Contest... if I'm remembering right we should start hearing about the results this week?


27 comments:

  1. That is super cute! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fantastic, Sheila, you've thought of everything.
    I hope you won't have to wait that long for the results of the Contest.....I'm still keeping my fingers crossed and I can't do much of work if I have to do this any longer hehehe ;O!
    Thank you for your kind words on my blog, I'm glad I made this decision ;)
    Hug, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! I think you can uncross your fingers. I'm sure they've made the decision by now.

      Delete
  3. It's coming along nicely, Sheila. Isn't it a pleasure to work on something where you can take your time and play around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! It really is. I forgot how relaxing things can be.

      Delete
  4. Hello Sheila,
    It is just beautiful. What a lovely Christmas scene.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giac! I'm pleased with how it came out.

      Hugs!

      Delete
  5. The lantern came out so wonderfully and you have it arranged perfectly! I love the pillow with it's tassels and lived in look! The gold and red with the wood tone and green tree are so lively, and I am positive Chris and his wife will marvel at it for hours!
    I hope you hear something soon!!! It's so hard waiting!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I need to figure up how much everything in it cost and let him know how much and that it's ready for him.

      I know! It's making me a little crazy.

      Delete
  6. I'm sure Chris and his wife will love it! It's such a sweet scene, and the lights look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheila! The lantern looks really sweet! Especially with the lights on. The cushion in the chair was a great finishing touch! I hope you hear the contest results soon... I would not be able to stand the suspense! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

      I will admit that it's killing me!

      Delete
  8. Move over Santa, because I want to sit in that chair!
    Well done Sheila, I am sure that the recipient will be enthralled by this Christmas lantern and will probably have it out on display 365 days of the year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Te ha quedado precioso. Suerte con el concurso:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the lantern! It's perfect. That lived-in pillow look is such an extra-brilliant Sheila touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Chris picked it up yesterday and he really liked it so I'm glad.

      Delete
  11. The lantern came out wonderfully <3 I'm sure Chris and his wife will love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Chris liked it and hopefully his wife will feel the same way.

      Delete
  12. Sheila this came out fantastic! I think it's the perfect miniature display for Christmas, much better than a full dollhouse. I'll be tempted to do something next year now. I think the lights are really what make it magical and I think it has the right amount of "stuff" in it for a little display. So glad to see in the comments Chris liked it, I'm sure his wife will be so happy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! I saw Chris Friday and he said his wife loved it. The only thing she was upset about was that it was past Christmas and she'd have to wait to display it.

      Delete
  13. I love it, especially when the lights are on. Looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that Chris and his wife liked it.

      Delete