Sunday, May 6, 2018

Two & a Half Days Of Work

I'm finally getting to take some of my vacation time.  So I got Friday off and worked on the dollhouse.

And kept working on it right up until I started writing this post.

I started with working on the third floor of the tower.  I got the floor measured and cut and then made it look like old wood and stained it.


I forgot to take a picture of it at that time but here it is now.

I started to age the stairs a bit more, I used some grey and black paint and darkened them.  I don't know that you can see it so much in the pictures though.





Then I started to work on the oriel window.  I got two of the bay windows from Houseworks and microwaved them so I could take them apart.

Then I cut a chunk out of one so it would fit against the curve of the wall.

And I glued the two of them together because I want it to stick out a bit more than the bay window would.

All the wood in the picture above is to make the casement windows for the oriel window.  That was what took most of the day yesterday.

I decided I wanted all the windows in the tower to have the Tudor arch (or as close as I could get) so I cut thin basswood for the tops of all the windows.  More Aluminum Blue fumes, though I took the mesh outside this time.

I smartened up and stained everything before putting the windows together.  My fingers were filthy and required scrubbing afterwards because I'm such a doofus I forget to buy rubber gloves.  Soap is cheaper than gloves anyway right?  But I did get them all together.




And I added some little triangles with a slight curve to the Houseworks casement window so it would look the same.


And then I had to put the window together.  This was...tricky.



I added the windows before putting the roof on.  Then added trim around the top and bottom of the windows to give it a similar look to the lower floor's bay window.




I'm waiting for everything to dry now before I do anything else.

I need to make sure the windows work completely, so I might have to do some sanding before it's totally complete.  And I've ordered some more handles for the windows and those need to be added.  But all the windows work, potentially.  And that's what my goal was.

I hope everyone else's weekend is going well?

32 comments:

  1. Wow! Sheila, I am loving everything you are doing with this project!!! The oriel window is looking amazing!!! The ageing of the tower stairs is adding wonderful layers of mystery to the tower!!! And I just Love the Gothic details on all the windows! It is a ton of work, but so worth it! This project is such a wonderful one to watch as it develops.... you are really giving it so much creative detail! I Love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to get some more work done on the walls of the third floor tonight and in the next couple days. First I need to do a test of how it'll fit against the back of the cottage part.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, you again made so much progress! And it's all looking fantastic! The oriel window is such an awesome extra on the tower, so cool that you decided to add it :-). I agree with Daydreamer, it's a wonderful project to watch the developments of :-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really hoping to get the tower walls up soon. It would be great to figure out the roof and get something fabricated in the next couple days.

      Delete
  3. The tower floor is marvelous! I love it! And the layers you added to the stairs really improved the depth - they look so authentic! The windows are pure magic - each new photo makes me so excited for the day when we'll get to see these elements assembled and photographed. It is easy to see that you are totally inspired with every thing you're doing in this project, Sheila! Wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Balsa can look so cool with a little work. I'm chomping at the bit to get the window attached to the tower walls but I need to figure out the roof and how much the cottage wall will impede upon the tower first.

      Delete
  4. Esto promete, me encanta todo lo que has hecho, las ventanas de lujo, estoy deseando ver lo siguiente.Feliz semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias. Espero hacer más cosas así que tengo paredes y ventanas juntas para mostrarles a todos pronto.

      Delete
  5. Those windows are so fabulous! And the stairs look aged too! I can't believe how much work you got done! It all looks great! (And I always forget to buy gloves too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad the difference in the stairs is noticeable.

      I've got soap and a scrub brush so no harm no foul right?

      Delete
  6. Sheila, I can't comment on how much I'm enjoying your project, as you know, but I can share that rubbing alcohol is very effective at removing acrylic paint and marker stains from fingers.(Don't ask me how I know . . .)

    Cheers!

    Fran Casselman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got rubbing alcohol so I'll have try that.

      Delete
  7. this is going to be a masterpiece! love it, how this tower is getting loads of character.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with how it looks so far.

      Delete
  8. Another window wow. It's going to look great on the tower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm finally getting a good rhythm with making windows. Hoping the ones for the dormer will be even simpler.

      Delete
  9. Wow, such inventivity, Sheila, your oriel window looks amazingly real! All the detailed work you've added to all of your gothic windows are incredible, it means lots of extrawork, but so worth it! The aging of the tower stairs looks even more lifelike, after adding the somewhat darker colors. I love seeing the development of this most interesting project, your work is such a source of inspiration for me :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you guys like what I'm doing, you're all so amazing that your feedback that I'm doing well really means a lot.

      Delete
  10. I am loving every minute of this project!! You windows are great and very authentic. I also love what you have done with the stairs. This house is going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The windows seem to take forever but the end result is always worth it for that Tudor look.

      Delete
  11. All looking good Sheila. Great progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to have more to show you all soon.

      Delete
  12. Wow! These windows are mind blowers! I can see how much work they take but the results are worth it. The round floor around the stairwell is no less stunning.
    Fantastic work. I love following your progress.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I'm working on a bit more to show all of you tonight.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you! Lots of work but a pretty good result I think.

      Delete
  14. Yay for vacation time! It must feel great to really get into your build and not have the work week looming so close. The stairs look really good now and I’m just amazed at how quickly you assembled the oriel window. The trim is a beautiful finishing touch. I don’t even want to begin imagining how tricky that must have been to put back together! These windows are going to really make your kit stand out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like having some time off so I can work on the house for a nice long stretch. Plus it's just nice to not be at work for a bit.

      Tricky was the most polite way to put it. There was a lot of cursing.

      Delete
  15. Fabulous work on the tower! Those windows look tricky, and you've done a great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Very tricky windows. And my window travails aren't over yet.

      Delete
  16. Sheila that window is awesome! Loving the floor too.. it looks so wonderfully aged and like it's hand cut which would be appropriate for the era. Love the detail of the wooden supports for the stairs.. they look fantastic! The inside of the tower is really coming to life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the windows and it's nice to have a process for making casement windows now. The tower is something I'm excited about, I don't remember ever seeing one in a Creatin' Contest before so I'm hoping for originality points.

      Delete