Sunday, May 27, 2018

Dovecote & Dormer Windows

Yeah I know, windows again.  Are you guys sick of them yet?

I'm trying to give the windows on the second floor a similar look.  So I got a few more little ones and gave them the Tudor treatment.  The window boxes they came with were too wide to fit them all into the space I wanted so I made a new box and trim.

I did the windows and the glaze first so while they were drying I could do everything else.



I stained it before I glued it together and then roughed it up with my Dremel to look hand cut.  Then I restained it.

I cut out more boards and roughed them up for shutters.  And began the laborious process of adding hinges.  I had to order more hinges because apparently the tons I ordered weren't enough for me.



This little pile is for the Houseworks casement windows.  I have to build trim for the windows but I want them to have shutters so  I need to get them started at least.  



Here's one actually attached to the trim for the little window over the front door.

My big dormer windows needed trim for the inside so I could attach the shutters.  And I wanted a window ledge to put things on.  Plus I knew I needed something a little deeper than normal because the handles of the windows would hit the shutters if the trim wasn't deep enough.

Once I got the trim for the inside built the windows were all dry and I was able to attach them to the frame.



You can see I got all the shutters hinged together and a couple of them attached to the inside trim.


I've still got to attach the rest once my hinges arrive.

I'd glued boards to the edge of the roof to extend it.  Once everything was dry I did another fit of everything.





I think I like how everything looks so far.

Then I got the dovecote drilled out and little ledges glued to it.


You can see my first attempt.  I didn't like how crowded it looked.


It's not glued in yet, but I think it'll look pretty good.

I'm going to work on the rest of the shutters tonight and tomorrow.  And then figure out where I'll be putting the lights and doing the wiring.

I'll need to start cutting out stone for the lower walls of the main cottage.  And for the windows of the tower stairs on the outside.  I'll admit I'm not really looking forward to that but it'll be worth it in the end.

Hope everyone else is having a good holiday weekend.  Happy Memorial Day everyone!


19 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila! I Love how your windows are looking!!! The shutters are such a wonderful detail! And the dovecote looks fantastic! I am So Loving this project!!! I think the whole house is looking Awesome! I have to admit I squealed with delight at seeing the newest windows for the upstairs.... it has such a Tudor look .... Well done!!! :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really hoping to keep it moving along!

      Delete
  2. No, not sick of windows at all... It is looking fabulous. I love your shutters and the lead lighting is awesome. I am really enjoying following this project. Thanks for sharing so many detailed photos.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping to make more progress this weekend. Once I get my hinges I'm going to work on all my framing and getting the shutters attached to the interior frames.

      Delete
  3. Once again a lot of progress! Persevere with the windows, you are doing such a good job and I think the end is in sight.
    Love the dovecote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The end is in sight with the windows. I just need to do interior trim for them and they'll be nearly done!

      Two tries on the dovecote but I think it turned out pretty well.

      Delete
  4. No, your blog is never boring! And there's no exception regarding these amazing windows: they look super with those shutters!! The dovecote looks fantastic already, it's such a nice detail there at the gable. And everything has the real Tudor look, the whole looks wonderful, Sheila, and you made again great progress!!
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really pleased with how it looks so far. Lots more work to do though.

      Delete
  5. The shutters look awesome, and so does the dovecote! You accomplished again so much, and it's looking better and better! Great work :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm kind of relieved to be almost done with the windows and shutters.

      Delete
  6. Phew.. such a lot of fiddly work.. your patience and tenacity inspires me. :) I love love love that dormer window it's fantastic! Very realistic to the period I think. Such a great addition to the build and the dovecote! I see where you are going and it's going to be great... There's always those jobs that we don't enjoy so much isn't there.. but when it's finished the satisfaction makes it worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's very fiddly but it's almost done.

      Delete
  7. Okay these 4 pane windows are so clever! I was like, she made custom windows that open?! And then to realize they are the houseworks ones put together… so so good. Meanwhile I swear I look at those hinges and cringe at the memory of trying to install them on my own doors. You are so brave! ;) There are so many! They do look awesome though, so worth it! Do the shutters go on the inside of the windows then or exterior? And love the way the dovecote looks tucked in that gable. Everything looks very true to the period and style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually used four of the rectangle windows like the one above the door and built a new frame for them because the boxes they came with made the too wide for the dormer.

      The shutters will go on the interior of the house. They used to back before shutters were mostly decorative. I'm actually getting used to the hinges. But I'm glad they're almost done.

      Delete
  8. It's wonderful to see your plans come true. Your work is simply admirable!
    The dovecote looks as if it belongs there.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got to start making a list I think. Of all the things I need to get done.

      Delete
  9. I am loving all of the little details everywhere, and who could ever be sick of these windows? They are wonderful! You are going to have to give us the masterclass (or at least a few tips) on hinge installation, as you are surely an expert after all these! Just getting them on and lined up is difficult enough, but the fact that they actually function too is a tremendous achievement! The dovecote is absolutely adorable! Great job on the roof edging, too - all those angles aren't easy and you've done so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The hinge success seem to hinge (haha) on making sure the holes for the screws are the right depth from the edges so they'll actually work. You put a bit of glue on the back of the hinge to hold it in place over the holes and then use the tweezers to grab each screw, get a dot of glue on it and put it on the hinge hole, then push it in because you can't screw them in without a screwdriver. With the glue they seem to hold pretty well. Though using cut down flat head pins also works

      I'm so pleased with that dovecote. It needs a little piece to meet the front edge of the roof from the little shelf that came with the kit but so far I really like it.

      Delete