Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Weekend's Work

My weekend saw one big thing (at least to me) accomplished for the dollhouse but due to a weeks worth of sleep deficit I really didn't accomplish much else.

Why was she not sleeping you ask?  Oh boy.

You all recall the plumbing issue we had to have dealt with?  That happened on Monday.  A broken stop valve under the sink was dripping steadily for goodness knows how long.  I keep extra makeup bags, cottonballs and a few other things under the sink so I didn't hear any dripping.  Needless to say everything under the sink was pretty much trashed.

The cabinet base looked so bad the plumber gave us a card for a company that deals with water damage.  They came out on Tuesday.

When they left on Tuesday, this is what they left behind. (Pictures courtesy of my husband's phone.)  He was awesome the whole week.




In case none of you recognize this equipment, they are dehumidifiers, heaters/fans.  They spent from Tuesday morning until Friday morning in our house, giving us a new appreciation of how quiet it is without them.  It's a bit like being inside a wind tunnel.

So...not much sleep this past week.  All the cabinets are a dead loss, as is the drywall on both sides of the wall and the carpet in the bedroom.

The process of getting it all replaced starts next week around Thursday after the insurance company gives us the go-ahead.

So this weekend I was moving in semi-slow motion because I haven't felt quite awake.  My husband was worse off than I was.  To accomplish anything for the dollhouse was a minor miracle.

Because I was so tired I neglected to take any in progress shots.  But you'll recall I was working on a topper for the chimney? So it would look realistic?

I got the stone on the chimney, and got it grouted and coated with ceramcoat.  So it looks pretty good.  Then I got to work on the topper.

A layer of bass wood covered in stucco and smoothed to look as much like concrete as I could manage serves as the edge of the chimney.  A cage made of scrap wood, painted black and some spare vinyl screen from an old door partially hides the stacks inside.  They're actually the inner plastic of a calculator tape roll.  You accountants out there will know what I mean.  And the roof to keep water out is actually painted cardboard.  It was the easiest to work with when it came to fussing with the angles.  Geometry is not my friend.


I wanted the roof angles to match the house a bit, so I was playing around with them.


And here's a close up of the cage part.  No birds or squirrels will next in this chimney.

I have an idea for the flashing and once that's on I'll start to shingle the roof.

Now I just want to flop on the couch and recover from the crazy week a bit more.

How are the rest of you doing?  I hope everyone else's week was a bit easier?

14 comments:

  1. Sorry you've had such a terrible week. I understand the lack of motivation sleep depravation causes.. I have it regularly. I suffer from insomnia and it is debilitating. Go and have a good long nap!

    The chimney looks great! I love the cage topper. Copper sheeting or copper coloured paper would make good flashing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I appreciate the condolences. I wish I could nap. I've never been able to do so unless I'm ill. My husband is able to at least, which I'm glad about for his sake.

      Thanks again! I'm pleased with the chimney. I've got some more of this real thin cardstock that I might paint metallic bronze or black. Since nothing else on the house exterior is copper I'm resisting the temptation of copper sheeting. I love copper!

      Delete
  2. oh no! water damage is not funny at all and getting everything dry is even worse! I feel with you...
    it is amazing that you got anything done this weekend. I would have fled the scene ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We might have except for the cats. And there aren't any hotels we could stay at and bring them with us.

      I just want to sleep for about a week.

      Delete
  3. Sorry for the damage and bad days you had to go through.
    The chimney and the roof above it look great. I admire the way you handle the electricity.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate it. And it could have been so much worse.

      Thank you! I'm pleased it turned out well considering how tired I've been.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness Sheila! Water damage is horrible, and it is a good thing that you were able to deal with it before winter sets in.
    And I LOVE your mini chimney and its new topper; everything about it looks Right as well as WONDERFUL! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how the chimney looks.

      And oh yes grateful that we found this problem before we get cold here, not that Texas ever gets really cold.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about the plumbing leak, Sheila! Those hidden leaks are awful! I sure hope you get back to normal soon!
    The chimney topper looks great! I had to laugh about the calculator tape thingies.... I can't tell you how many times I have looked at those as I'm changing the tape and wondering if there is something mini they would be good for! Now I know! LOL! Keep up the wonderful work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah we're not exactly thrilled but at least it seems like the insurance is covering it.

      Thanks! I'd been keeping them with no clue what they'd be good for but knowing there had to be something. Now my hoarding is justified.

      Delete
  6. Well the good news is that the chimney, topper et al turned out awesome!!! And more good news - new bathroom cabinet and bedroom carpet! I know the insurance deductible sucks, but hey - you are planning to sell soon and now you have "upgrades" and a big chunk of the of the expense covered by the insurance company. I bet you're too exhausted to see the glass full right now, but it will all work out in your favor! :O) And did I mention, the chimney looks fabulous?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really am glad it looks good.

      And yeah the deductible is a pain, and so will reconstruction be, but I've got vacation time I can take to deal with it and I can work on my dollhouse while I'm off...

      So I'm trying to be glass half full.

      Delete
  7. Sorry you had to deal with that - yuck! But your house is coming together nicely. I really like what you have done with the chimney cap - great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Since it was all I accomplished I'm thankful it looks good.

      Strangely enough I think reconstruction will be easier to live with.

      Delete