Saturday, August 10, 2013

Finally Making Progress

Wow...I'm ashamed of myself.  Really.  Between work and writing fiction I hadn't done anything on the dollhouse but buy it things.  The last three weeks though I've actually gotten back into the swing of it and made some real progress.

You'll recall, so very long ago, that I was still putting shingles on the roof.  That's part of why I haven't posed in a while.  Oh my God!!! The room was huge. Shingles are a pain when you have multiple angles on the roof.  Lots of sanding and gluing and standing.  It took a while to get the entire roof done.

But done it is. Yay! 

The next step was to put the railings up on the roof.  They're called Widow's Walks apparently and they actually went fairly well.  I was originally going to use wood glue to stick them on but after I'd painted the rooftops black I decided the glue gun was the better option.

So here's how it looked once all the shingles were on and the railings glued up.

Not bad looking right?
My favorite is all the boxes you can see through the windows.  Classy right?

Remember way back when I was cutting the holes in the side walls for the doorways?  I had to drill through and then use the saw to cut the squares and the doorways ended up with rounded corners? (Yeah I know that sounds dumb but that's what actually happened.)

Apparently that is the same method the manufacturers use to make the holes for the windows.  So before I could put the windows in I had to square the corners.  That was a little time consuming but I got it done.

See...its a little blurry but the windows are squared.
Now for the fun part.  More painting.  I went with white for the wooden panes and blue for the trim.  It looks pretty sharp if I do say so myself.  That was part of why I took some time to get this done.  White and blue... yeah those can be pretty unforgiving it you're trying to work in a hurry. 

The glue gun came in handy again.  Wood glue would have been messy, drippy and might not have stuck.  But I got the windows and the trim above them all painted and in the dollhouse.


Again, a little blurry... I need my hands to stop shaking...more caffeine? Maybe?

I also got the door painted.  And its doorknobs put on.  The glue gun is such a good friend to me.

Nice shiny doorknob.
I also decided the black foundation was really not as nice as I'd.  So I did some work on it after I got all the windows and door in.

I bought some textured paper, patterned with nice dark brick.  See? Pretty.

It worked out fairly well.  A little Elmer's glue and some scissors to cut it into strips and I have a brick foundation rather than a black one.  It looks a lot more realistic and once I was done I added some brick to the stairs as well.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Ah, much better. Not so dark and Look! A clear picture! Shocking right?
 There was one last touch I had to add.  And then the outside of the house was done.  I'm amazed.  The fun and more difficult part is yet to come.  I'm really a little nervous about wallpapering.  But I'm game to try it.

Here's our final picture and the finishing touch. 

The light works too!  Battery operated so I don't have to deal with wires. Yay!
I've started work on the walls inside and painted the stairs white.  I need to get all my walls figured out to divide out the rooms before I can do any wallpapering.  But that's for next time.

Sorry I haven't written before this.  I have a ton of really good excuses but they'll wait for a time when I really feel like depressing or annoying all of you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment