Actually I wasn't writing, talking or eating, I was sleeeeeeping... all the way until Monday afternoon nearly. Yeah, migraines are fun. Not.
I'm actually lucky in that I don't get them nearly as often as I used to. But I do get them just often enough that I know when I'm getting one. Does that make sense? Probably not.
So I did work on the dollhouse a lot this past weekend, in fact its looking pretty good. I didn't realize just how much progress I'd made until I took a look at the last post. Now I really do need to construct a case for it though because it needs painting and finishing. Trying to do anything with paint when you have cats around is an exercise in how to make a huge mess quickly so I'm figuring out a Plexiglas case for it.
In the meantime, here's what I've accomplished:
First I put the floors in place and wood glued them. And unless I wanted to stand there and hold them in place for half an hour I had to find something to help them stand upright. So I improvised. I'd like to thank my grandmother for leaving me all the books in her house as the Thesaurus really came in handy.
|You can see my hi-tech method for holding the floors in place while the glue dried.|
|I was very proud of myself when I got to this point. It was standing on its own!|
|Miho approves of the dollhouse thus far.|
So with a bit of effort I managed to get everything squared, that was interesting especially working with wood glue while getting everything in place. Don't get me wrong, wood glue is a major part of this project but as I wrestled everything in place I was glad I was wearing grubby clothes because it got all over my tee shirt.
|The tower front is on. And it isn't even crooked. Yay me.|
The next part required... You guessed it folks, more wood glue! And my next favorite construction staple, duct tape. Seriously folks, duct tape is my friend. And I'll tell you this started going really fast once I had the proper tools. The bay extension comes in separate pieces, I guess to save on packaging and labor or whatever, so you glue these half hexagon shapes to the main floors.
|See? Duct Tape is my friend. My bestest friend...you'll see why.|
|See duct tape! It worked pretty well.|
|See the little wall on the edge of the house? That should go halfway down, but why? All it does is get in the way.|
Now we get to the interesting part, putting the roof on. I really had a hard time with this part, the pieces are angled on almost every side, and you have to draw the shingle lines on before you glue on the roof. I'm not ashamed to say there was cursing during this part.
|You have to keep the pieces straight or the roof line will be warped. This was not my favorite part.|
Then the top of the roof was warped of course so I did the best I could with glue and weight to hold it down. A shout out to Grandma's Thesaurus which was invaluable for holding the rooftop to the sloping walls. Once I had everything situated I nailed it down to be sure the gaps were closed.
|Yeah, this was not a fun part either. The rooftop should be even on all sides...I'm a little off.|
|The Thesaurus makes another appearance. And the house actually looks like a house now!|
I did finally get a picture of the house as it is now. Everything has to be painted and stained before it goes on so now I really need to build a case for it. Cats and paint don't mix.
|There's the thesaurus again! And my handy dandy duct tape.|
|Mommy, you need to get this stuff out of my house.|
So an extra long entry to make up for the lack of one last week. Hope you all liked. See you next week.