Thursday, May 24, 2012

Meet the Children

Hello everybody,

I thought since my dollhouse is still in its boxes and will be until I can determine how to build it without having it simultaneously destroyed by my cats, that I would introduce you to the reasons for the delay.  And oh yes was that a run on sentence! 

Yes, my children, the only grandchildren my parents are going to get from me, the felines.  They're all cats that were abandoned or found on the street.  And I'm sorry, but I don't get that.  One of my biggest pet peeves is people who abandon their pets or don't take care of them.  Pets are work. Pets are expensive.  Think of pets as children.  Would you dump your child in the street when it got to the annoying stage? (Okay, so yeah there are some people who would, but...my point stands.)  Don't get a pet if you can't afford to get it all of its shots.  Don't get a pet if you're not going to be around. Don't get a pet for Easter or Christmas and then dump it when you're bored.  Don't... arghh...

I take it back. I'm not sorry.

Okay, stepping down and backing away from the soapbox now.  Sorry about that, touchy subject.

So anyway, here are my children:

Our oldest is Spike, named for the vampire on Buffy.  He's fat and old, (He was born in 1998 we think) and he's a sweetheart who's just a little senile.  But he loves his people and he loves his brother and sisters and he's never mean to anybody.  Spike will walk up to repair people and want to be petted.  The furnace guy recognizes him.  (That says something about Spike or the furnace and I don't want to think about it anymore.) He doesn't meow much, never has, but when he does he has something important to say.  We say he's the strong silent type.

Pictured here lounging with his sunflower toy.

Our next cat is Drusilla (also named for a vampire on Buffy).  Dru is a little skittish.  She doesn't like people or other cats except Spike and she doesn't want to come out of her one room.  Dru seems to think she's Emily Dickinson.  She has a chirpy little meow and loves her window shelf which lets her see out and watch the birds and squirrels next to the house.  Words cannot express just how nervous this cat is.  She tends to hide and sleep in the closet a lot and I have a suitcase with her fur nearly embedded in the fabric because of this.

One of her favorite ways to sit and watch her daddy at the computer

Our third cat is Helo.  Named for the Helios (meaning sun) and the character from Battlestar Galactica, Helo thinks he has a passport to whatever room in the house he wants to see.  He has no sense of boundaries.  Where ever he wants to be, there he is.  He's a big cat, getting a little chubby but also is just very long.  He's very friendly to his humans, loves us, and loves his brother.  He would like to love his sisters but they really really do not like him.  Maybe if he respected boundaries they might like him better but since he doesn't we'll never know.  He also has a chirpy meow which can turn whiny like a crying toddler if you don't give him what he wants, be it food, attention or baby talk back at him.

He's obviously not camera shy. He'll walk right up to me when I've got the camera out.

Our last cat is Miho.  Miho is named for a character in the Frank Miller novels of Sin City(deadly little Miho).  She's also our first Siamese and really lives up to the hype.  Oddly enough, she isn't terribly vocal, more like Spike, she only talks when she has something important to say.  But she's a very smart cat who's figured out how to open doors and drawers (I have lost hair scrungies to her because of this) and she is very possesive of her people.  She really doesn't care for any of the other cats except Spike and him she only tolerates because he's nice.  She's a gorgeous traditional Siamese Seal Point.  Her favorite thing is to climb the cat trees or sit on the chair with her daddy.  Or on the bed with him. Or sometimes on the bed with me.  She wants to be in laps always.


Miho explores the new cat shelf and enjoys a view of 'her' kingdom

Well there they are, our current family and the reason I need to build a case for the dollhouse before I can build the dollhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment