Thursday, December 7, 2023

Hardscaping & the Tree - Again

So over Thanksgiving I did a lot of work on the Blacksmith's shop and home.  I took a couple vacation days so I have almost an entire week off and it was a good thing I did.

I hunted up all my 'wares' for my blacksmith and added them to the storage chest beneath the window.


There was the issue of the landscaping for a Tudor period building set in a town rather than the countryside. So I needed to make cobblestones.

I used cardboard, paint, chipboard, paint, tinted spackle and black sand.









The tree which was looking so promising had to be set aside. Caspia Grass has a scent to it which Dante found irresistible and I couldn't keep him away from the tree. The tree was also large enough that it couldn't be hidden from him either.


So I started over and instead made a much smaller apple tree with the Candytuft I had on hand. 

So far so good!

I was able to get my set up for the submission pictures done and have them all picked out with my little description of the build written. 

And a good thing too. Because someone at work got Covid over Thanksgiving and didn't realize it until they came on Monday.

Guess what?

 Yep. My husband and I have it again.

It's not as bad as it was the first time around but it's not good either. 

Hoping to have my submission pics and the extras up on Sunday maybe. Just writing this was exhausting!


Anvils
Tools
Whetstone
Finished goods
Forge Roof/ceiling
Forge Bargeboards - skip, too fancy
Second floor/ceiling beams
Second floor/ceiling
Second floor walls
Second floor fireplace
Second floor railing (so no one falls down the stairs)
Bed
Candlestick
Dormer
Windows
Forge Chimney
House Chimney
Dragons for chimney and chimney pots
Benches/stools for kitchen. 
Oven/bread paddles (at least one)
Baskets
Rush mats
Knitting/sewing...something for the upstairs bench.
Fur throw
Fireplace tools, (tongs, shovel, poker)
Pease Porridge Pot
Sink with dishes
Bucket of water
Barrel of water for forge
Roof
Shingles - living quarters
Shingles - Forge
Tree
Well/water pump with Water!
Landscaping
Electrical wiring - final

5 comments:

  1. The house is really nice and it is a good idea how to make the paving. The door of the house is wonderful. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! I am sorry to hear you caught covid at Thanksgiving... (so did I!) and I'm glad to know it isn't as bad as the first time.... but still, it is exhausting! And it seems to last forever! I hope you recover faster than I am. As for the work on the Tudor Blacksmith Shop... I love the whole project! I think you know I am fond of the older historical buildings... and you have done a great job with so many details! The smaller apple tree might be more realistic for an in-town dwelling anyway. Big old trees took up too much space and towns grew up in cleared areas so trees were not the norm. And the cobblestone walks were the "improved" surfaces in towns.... better than muddy ruts, right? I admire anyone who can work to the schedule of an annual contest....! Well done as always!
    I hope you feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s looking fantastic and you’re so close! I hope you get over being ill quickly though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. La fachada de la casa es preciosa y en conjunto con el suelo queda fantástico.
    Has hecho un estupendo trabajo con el árbol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blacksmith shop pieces and the walk! Its a great project.

    ReplyDelete