Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Second Floor Pieces

 I'm using up my PTO so I don't have to take it all at the end of the year so I had two days off last week before Memorial Day.

So I started working on the walls, fireplace, beams and windows for the second floor.  I also wanted something that I've seen in several pictures and thought would be perfect for the build.








I've always wanted a cupboard bed!  I made it so it would fit between the wall and the fireplace. It took most of a day and a half to build, paint and seal.

There was a lot of dry time to fill with other things though. So I worked on the fireplace and the forge chimney.



I added stone to the foundation as well so when I take off the front wall we don't see bare wood. And made some ashes and set up logs for a fire in the fireplace.



Figuring out the windows for the second floor took a bit of doing but once I decided how many I needed and where I still had to make them.


I forgot to show you before but I also made a handle for the front door.


I also added a chain to the shutters so they stay level when customers come up to buy stuff.



That was harder than it looks. I needed an extra hand.

But I primed the upper walls and painted them so I have a base coat under the plaster. I also cut support beams for the roof.  



Listing everything out like this it doesn't look like much.  But it took up four and a half days.

The beginning of last week didn't start out so well. Captain Jack wasn't feeling well and when we took him to the vet they told us his liver was failing. My other two cats were older but Jack was only eight and a half at the most.  




So we lost Jack.  

Our Siamese Miho was like a mother to Jack and she kept wandering around looking for him. We figured that if we got a couple other cats that would give her company (besides my husband). And they'd also be a distraction.

I went Friday to see the cats at the Animal Shelter and today I brought them home. No pictures yet because they're both adjusting and a little skittish. Princess (a sixteen year old Siamese is hiding in the closet). Anthony, a one year old black and white little boy is exploring the living room but is highly suspicious of other locations.

Miho is annoyed with us, pouting and doing her best to show the other two that we're her humans. Princess doesn't care and Anthony is ignoring her mostly. So we'll see how everything goes.

I did get a few things marked off my list though.


Anvils
Tools
Whetstone
Finished goods
Forge Roof/ceiling
Forge Bargeboards
Second floor/ceiling beams
Second floor/ceiling
Second floor walls
Second floor fireplace
Second floor railing (so no one falls down the stairs)
Bed
Candlestick
Dormer
Windows
Forge Chimney
House Chimney
Roof
Bargeboards
Tree
Landscaping?








 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila. I’m so sorry you lost your sweet kitty, and she seemed way too young. Poor girl must’ve been feeling awful. I do hope your other new furbabies settle in quickly, and I applaud you for adopting animals in need, and especially older ones. They will soon find their new routines and all will be fine. And more good progress on your build. Getting these furniture pieces done will provide the bones of the design and an overall feel. It’s looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Jack. It's wonderful that you adopted 2 new kitties and was still able to continue with the project which is coming along beautifully.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila! Your cupboard bed is Wonderful!!! I have also always wanted one.... you did a magnificent job!!! All the other details you worked on might not look like much, but they count for a lot! The hearth is looking great and the window support chain is perfect! Also the roofing is a substantial job and the windows !!! You do fantastic medieval windows! All in all I'd call it a very productive long weekend! :)
    As for the loss of your kitty, I am sorry he went so young. We just love them and they come into our lives for a little while and then they are gone... every time I tell myself I couldn't possibly love another one... and then Another one arrives and I am in love again. You are brave to get two new fur babies at once! I look forward to meeting them as they adjust.
    Keep up the wonderful work!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sheila I am so sorry to hear about Jack's passing! No matter how many babies we love through the years, it never gets easier to lose them. I can't tell you how much I still ache for Georgia. I bet Jack is so happy knowing that his having to go made life a whole lot better for two more souls. Big hugs, my friend. Love lasts forever.

    The blacksmith shop and residence is progressing nicely! I love all of the details you are lovingly including. A hutch bed would be so much fun to sleep in and would feel so safe! It is another great detail that your projects can always be counted on to delight us with! I am excited to continue to see this fun project evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to read about the Jack. But good to know you found Miho company.

    I am trying to catch up with everything you made through last few months. And as always - I'm impressed with your work.

    ReplyDelete