Sunday, March 26, 2023

Back to the Tudor Period!

 When I first looked at the new contest kit I really had zero ideas about what it could be. And I really didn't intend to purchase it. Honestly I thought maybe a break for a year would be a good idea. Its hard to not take the judging personally at times and I've been stressed enough this past year.

But my husband (who remains incredibly supportive) said to buy it and then if an idea struck me that I'd have the kit and wouldn't have to wait for it to be deliverd to start on my entry.

So he gets credit for this as I probably wouldn't have even tried if I hadn't ordered the kit.

I started thinking about what I really loved about my builds and what I wanted to do again.  And I remembered how much I loved doing the WQRC, with the apple tree and tower and all the stone and plaster.  I loved making the windows and doing the roof. 

So I decided I was going to go back to that.  I'm making a blacksmith's shop/forge and attached house.  I might do another apple tree because I like the idea.




I'm planning on a second story with a dormer because I just like the idea and a blacksmith is considered pretty middleclass since they're skilled craftsmen and would have slightly larger homes.

I want the leaded windows again and the dark walnut wood. I do plan on a slightly different style than the WQRC.

The walls and floor of the shop are finished but not glued together. I don't want to glue everything unil I'm sure of how all the beams will fit.

But I think I'm off to a good start.







7 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila! I'm so glad your husband got you started on this kit! I have a weak spot for anything Medieval-ish and Tudor qualifies. This is looking awesome already! Those enormous beams set a rugged tone befitting a blacksmith's forge. I am really looking forward to seeing what you make. It is always the best idea to make what you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sheila! This is such a creative idea and what a fun opportunity tp explore a variety of materials and techniques! I love the forge, so far, and can't wait to see what you have in store for molten metal! The weathered timber beams are dreamy! Great work on them! Whether or not you decide to join the contest, it will be so inspiring to see your imagination soar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you've done so far.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing already. I love this style. Good you decided to buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's been awhile since I've caught up! But I'm so happy to see you go back to this style. I loved your WQRC build!!! And I recognize the arch! Let me know if you need another door, I think I still have the file around here somewhere... But really your plaster and stone effects were so awesome. Can't wait to see this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually kept all the doors you sent me so I'm using one of them! I'm very excited because as I work I'm coming up with the 'story' of the build.

      Delete
  6. What fun!! I'm so amazed by the details and beauty in your Tudor-Style dollhouse!

    ReplyDelete