Sunday, December 5, 2021

One More Weekend After This One

I'm starting to get a little nervous about my ability to complete my entry. And for good reason I think...

This week has been...eventful, shall we say? I spent most of my evenings researching Mid Century Modern furniture. And figuring out how to make a little loveseat with a side table attached.

This is a very picture heavy post.

So that was part of my evening Saturday while other things dried.


I found a beautiful little chair in red/cream that looks great with the 'wallpaper' I have in the living room.

It matches the shade of the lamp nicely too.

 

I trimmed it out and then finished the wood and changed the legs a bit and I think it looks a lot more polished now.



Then I started to play around with pillows. I have a treasure trove of them and they're so pretty!






All of them look great with the loveseat but the last two look the best with the wallpaper.

And they look really nice with the chair, lamp and loveseat together. I think it's a little bit of a squeeze but the layout will work.


See what I mean?

I ordered a kit to make bedroom furniture but I messed up my measurements so turns out I can't use the bed but maybe the little bedside table will work. I'll figure that out in the evening sometime this coming week.

I did have another bed that would work really well and it's the right size. So I dug around my stash of bedding and came up with a little quilt I'd gotten a while back. It has shades of the same faded red, blue, and grey and it looks pretty. It goes nicely with the pillows I'll use in the living room too so I know it's not going to clash with the rest of the house.

See? So some pillows I had, some fabric and one of the lace edged handkerchiefs I bought a while back and I made up the bed.

It looks pretty good and it'll fit in the bedroom which is pretty important.

That was the more fun (less sweaty) portion of the weekend.  I also glued the faucets to the bathroom vanity and the kitchen counter. 


I painted the ceiling and put the lights in the kitchen.


I glued in the floor and another wall and then the ceiling.

And while they were drying I measured and cut the boards and supports and posts for the rooftop deck.

I glued the lamp to the loveseat side table and primed the rails for the rooftop deck.  The posts gave me some trouble but I got them done and everything stained.

And while that was drying I tested the lights.


I glued the last wall in for the lower level and glued the rooftop deck into place.

I ran into a few snags but I got the rooftop deck and rails installed.



I glued the foundations to the floor of the lower level, with a few barriers in place to keep the tape from pulling off my texture.



I also ordered some clothing for the closet. They'll look nice either on the hangers or folded on the shelves. 

I revised the list slightly. Added some details. But I've got a day and a half off this coming week so I can work on the whole project some more. 
  1. Support beams for the ceilings of the upper and lower level.
  2. Build the corners of the containers 
  3. Paint the corners of the containers
  4. Assemble House
    1. Lower level
    2. Upper Level
  5. Glue corners to the long walls.
  6. Glue in flooring for the upper level, stain and sand it.
    1. Figure out bathroom flooring & put it in.
  7. Build the bathroom wall
  8. Build the closet
  9. Build transom windows for upper level
  10. Fold & prime the corner lift pieces
  11. Make the four handles for the container doors
  12. Stain closet & Bathroom doors - convert to barn doors
  13. Cut the roof
  14. Prime the walls, roof & stairs
  15. Paint the walls & roof
  16. Make supports for the overhang/carport
  17. Base, Foundation & steps for house (cinderblocks? or skip this)
    1. Glue to lower level
    2. Glue foundation to base of house
  18. Landscaping?
  19. Posts & railings for roof patio
    1. Roof patio decking?
  20. Prime & paint posts & railings of roof patio
  21. Make bifold doors for upper level
  22. Make floor to ceiling window for lower level
  23. Make floor to ceiling windows for upper level
  24. Make frames for all floor to ceiling windows
  25. Install stairs
  26. Wallpaper
  27. Make sink cabinet for bathroom
    1. Attach faucet
  28. Towel rack/shelves for bathroom
  29. Make 'glass' door for shower
  30. Tile shower walls & soap niche (revise soap niche)
    1. Grout shower walls
  31. Lighting.
    1. Bathroom overhead (chains & bulb)
    2. Over front door
    3. On either side of bifold for roof patio
    4. Kitchen pendant lights
    5. Living room lights
    6. Light in upstairs office
    7. Bedroom lights
    8. Install lights
  32. Furniture for bedroom 
    1. Bed
    2. Bookshelves? / Bedside table 
  33. Office
    1. Desk or stereo set?
  34. Patio furniture
  35. Furniture for living room
  36. Add handles to kitchen cabinets
  37. Install kitchen cabinets, faucet, appliances, backsplash & floating shelves
  38. Install bathroom fixtures
  39. Rugs & pillows
  40. Books
  41. Cats

The bathroom isn't done yet, our contractor works with his brother who was in a bad wreck and cracked some ribs. Then he broke his ankle so we're not quite done yet but the contractor thinks this Wednesday he'll be finished. The new waterheater goes in tomorrow.

Part of the problem is Home Depot. He'd ordered us a vanity but they ran a forklift into it and damaged it. So he had to reorder. It's coming in sometime between the 10th and 16th.  Everything else should be done by Wednesday.

I do have some pictures for you though.  The first is the new shower and it's bench. It's not done yet obviously but it'll be a nice walk in shower.


This area is where the toilet will go. It'll have a window on the larger wall at about five feet high.


This is the closet. The window is staying until the next day or so just for ventilation and then it'll be a plain old closet.


Those were from a couple days ago. Since then the shower has improved. We have soap/shampoo niches and a showerpan.



And the light fixtures for over the vanity are installed. They're so pretty, like jewelry for a wall.


Once the water heater is installed the rest should go fairly fast. Or so I'm told. I hope so. We have another working bathroom but we'll need to do laundry pretty soon...

Anyway, that's what's been going on this week. I hope the rest of you are doing well?

I also need to find the time to go Christmas shopping... I have a new niece this year and the kids under five don't really like gift cards the way the teenagers do.


4 comments:

  1. A lot of progress on your project. The seats are lovely and the kitchen is beautiful. I hope and wish you that your r/l bathroom will be finished on time, as promised, with no further accidents.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressive Sheila, it’s really coming together. I hope the time off you have to devote to finishing goes smoothly with no interruptions! But either way, you will get over the finishing line. And your real life bathroom is looking beautiful. Every time you do your laundry you’ll feel like you’re at a day spa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sheila, I think you got Tons done! This project is really coming along and has so many unique and interesting pieces to it! The roof deck looks Great! The bedding looks like it was made for this project! And the Mid-Century furniture you made for the living room is perfect! (In my childhood we had friends with that sofa with the built in side table! But it was in lime green upholstery! :)) And the kitchen looks wonderful with the lights on! I can't wait to see it with accessories too! Keep up the great work! And keep your fingers crossed for the RL renovations to get done with no more delays! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The project is looking great! So many great details and lots of "eye-candy" I'm excited to watch to the end and see the final!

    ReplyDelete