Sunday, July 25, 2021

Tile

 This weekend I still hadn't figured out exactly what I wanted to do with the stairs or floor. So I decided to work on the kitchen backsplash.

Tile work seemed appropriate since our bathroom floor tile has been pulled up almost completely in order to dry out the subfloor.






I put the rugs back down over the subfloor since my washer and dryer are back there and I don't want splinters in my feet when I'm doing laundry.

I'm doing a lot around the house because my husband is now using a cane to walk. MRI says torn meniscus. Among other things.

Then he spilled water on top of his c-pap machine so it wouldn't work. Thankfully we got that dried out and working again so we don't have to buy a new one.

He sees the doctor on Tuesday so we'll hear what can be done or get a referral to another doctor who can tell us what can be done. Hopefully it's fixable with PT and won't require surgery.

So doll housing was a little more of an escape than usual.

I made a cardboard template and got out my beads/tiles.



I tend to use Weld-Bond glue because it will make just about anything stick. Then it was row upon row of beads/tiles. 





Can't forget to leave space for the open shelving.




And then a dry fit.




Once the glue dried completely I needed to grout it. I tend to use drywall spackle for my grout because it's cheap, you can tint it, and it's easy to clean up.


Now for a dry fit with the cabinets.





I like how it looks with the cabinets and countertop. 

I plan to make the open shelving look a bit like live edge and the stain to match the window frames and flooring.

I ordered some tongue depressors and I want to do wide plank flooring that looks like this:


I need to figure out if I can match that stain with what I have. If I start with the weathered grey, apply a coat and sand it down, then put something like golden oak over it maybe that would work.

I ordered more tongue depressors so I'll have enough for the floors on both levels. Obviously we don't want wood in the bathroom but everywhere else...yeah. 

And the blonde tones to the wood will warm up the space too.  I'm concentrating on the dollhouse because I can't do anything to our bathroom until the insurance company agrees with the estimate the restoration company gave them.

So we're in a holding pattern regarding the bathroom at the moment.  We do know that we'll have to gut the space completely.

And since that portion of the house is pier and beam we figure we'll make it the way we want it. A walk in shower (with a bench) and higher toilet, double vanity, all those will make life a lot easier for someone who has trouble walking.  Pier and beam means moving the plumbing wouldn't be as expensive as anywhere else in the house which is on a slab.

Plus if we go with a stackable washer/dryer (since ours are dying) and replace the hot water heater with a tankless we'll have more square footage and we could conceivably still have a small closet back there.

So I have plans. And we've been saving up because we knew we'd have to do this eventually anyway.

I'm crossing my fingers that this can start up soon.

In the meantime... miniatures are a lovely distraction. 

How are all of you doing?

5 comments:

  1. Oh Sheila! The tiles came out so well! I absolutely love them with the white countertops and the kitchen looks amazing! Moving up the window in favor of the backsplash was definitely the right choice!

    Poor hubs! His knee must be stiff and painful! Russ had the whole replacement done a few years back and while the recovery time and PT was disruptive, it gave the leg a new lease on life! He's due for his second shoulder surgery soon and that is a much rougher one to recover from. Parts wear out but at least we live in a time where getting them fixed is like having your oil changed, lol!

    The bathroom plans sound fantastic! I am an oddball who loves a good reno, probably because we've done so much of that in our 36 years together! But replacing all the structure, wiring and piping you can now will save you heartache later and be a boon if you decide to sell. Can't wait to see the progress, though with the trouble the insurance industry is in presently they are taking their time approving claims. Godspeed with the whole thing and please share photos!

    I love the flooring idea and can't wait to see how the layering of the stains goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! I LOVE those tiles! They are such wonderful colors to begin with, and even though they looked a bit "chaotic" to me all by themselves without the cabinets... as soon as you add the cabinets and appliances they are the perfect counterpoint to that gray! I Love the effect together! And the wide board flooring sounds like it will look great too!
    As for the trials of RL house renovations.... I feel your pain! I once was having my kitchen re-done and had to wash the dishes in the laundry sink in the basement (not finished but old and dirty!)... which was supposed to only take a week... but the wrong sink arrived and it stretched to three weeks! (And a bathroom re-do required a porta-potty in the dooryard for three weeks... I won't mention the incident with the fox...)! I do hope you find good care for your husband! Yes, Minis are a great escape! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish your husband quick recovery, hopefully without surgery. The tiles look beautiful on the kitchen's wall.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is coming together beautifully. I especially love the work surface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your modern kitchen is really coming along Sheila! LOVE the tilework- REALLY IMPRESSIVE!

    ReplyDelete