Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Working Container Doors & Light Fixtures

 I haven't felt like I made a ton of progress in the last couple weeks, but Sunday things finally came together and I got some things done.

My biggest accomplishment was getting a good start on the Container Doors which will serve as a sort of shutter for sliding glass doors next to the stairs on the lower level. 

I started out with the frame, and forgot to take pictures of it. Of course. Then built it up so I could have the sliding glass doors 'behind' the 'metal' container doors.


The doors I used a combination of matboard and plastic siding, rearranged a few times to see which look I liked.


Originally the plan was to use the wooden channel trim for the edges but I didn't like how it looked. So I tried it without the wood.


Better. But I still have some slight unevenness. So I added some very thin cardboard to level things out.


Somehow the layers shifted slightly when I glued them, but with a little judicious trimming to even things up, and a thin layer of paper on the sides to hide the gaps from the siding they fit the frame well.


I'm working on the hinges and corners now. And now that I've got the measurements down I'll cut the next set in with my Cricut.

My other big accomplishment in the past couple weeks has been baskets. I found a tutorial on Pinterest that shows how to make mini baskets out of rope. So I gave it a try.  Then got another hot glue gun and tried again.

I need to find very narrow nozzles for the hot glue gun, because too much comes out and then it doesn't look very nice. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

I also tried a more traditional basket with paper covered wire and I like it but again, it could look nicer. Need to practice more I guess.

My first effort.


A laundry basket. It needs a lid.

Second try, something for towels maybe?


And finally, the rest of them.


The dark one will be for outside I think, maybe to hold some wood for a firepit? We'll see.

I also got an order from Shapeways. Some of Marion's lights, some exterior lights and a couple of bowls. 


These are for the kitchen, over the peninsula and sink.


These will be for the exterior. They look like they take standard little screw in sockets.


I thought of using one of these bowls as a ceiling fixture in the bathroom.



This one has more of a basket weave look and I think I like it better.

But that's it for the last couple of weeks.

Hope you all are having a good May!



9 comments:

  1. What puzzle to get these specific doors done, Sheila, but you are so good at it. The doors look great AND you also created space for the sliding glass doors 'behind' these 'metal' doors. Now it's nicely coming together, which is great work!
    Love the result of the baskets, maybe you can use this technique for baskets: find a mold (plastic bottle) of the right diameter, wrap the rope dipped in a little Tacky Glue Original around it and smear with (water diluted) wood glue on the whole rope surface, let it dry overnight, this will work too.
    I know what you're looking for, but I'm afraid I can't help you with the very narrow nozzles, because I never work with a glue gun.
    These light fixtures look wonderful already. How are the ones, which will go for the kitchen (over the peninsula and sink) called in English?? I think I can need some of these for my farmhouse, because they look a bit of the 50s...?
    Have a good May too, Sheila, take care!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I didn't put the link in for her shop. I'm not really sure what they'd be called. They look very modern/industrial to me. But here is the link to them.

      https://www.shapeways.com/product/36RG8J92X/industrial-lampshade-in-1-12?optionId=62398674&li=user-wishlist

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Sheila, I'll visit and see!

      Delete
  2. The brand Surebonder has a whole line of different glue guns, and there are a few that have precision tip nozzles that let out less glue. I'm pretty sure Amazon sells them but they have they have their own website too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good progress Sheila! The doors are going to look great, and once painted, any slight differences won’t be noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila! I think your rope baskets look great! I have not tried basket-making... isn't it amazing how many "skills" we miniaturists need to learn? LOL! The work you have done on your doors looks good to me.... but I have minimal experience of container buildings... so I am not a great judge. I admire any home-made furniture and fixtures... and I'm hoping to learn to make some myself... someday! I think your progress looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might not feel like you're making much progress, but things are moving right along! I love your baskets and the light fixtures.
    Glue guns and I are not friends but I saw that there's a new one on the market. Bosch Gluey. It has a pen shape with a fine nozzle, and it is rechargeable so that you don't need to worry about a cord. It might work for your purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry so late, Sheila! I am hopelessly behind! I love the door idea and am so excited to see how they come out, and the light fixtures are so cool!

    ReplyDelete