Sunday, March 15, 2020

Finally Back To It!

So I've been gone for almost a month.  Which is due to flu and recovering from that and just in general dealing with allergy stuff on top of recovering.  And you know, that work thing that allows me to continue with my hobby.

Working for a restaurant company makes any health issue problematic and a widespread problem can really damage a small business.  So we're all waiting to hear what steps are being taken beyond the common sense caution advised.  And we're not sure if those of us that could work from home will be told to or if we'll be working in smaller shifts in the office.  It's all still up in the air at the moment.

So fingers crossed we all can figure something out.  Small businesses are really going to suffer no matter how much government help we might get (eventually).

I've been working on hollowing out the books my husband got for me. You recall the box o' books?


This is only one stack of the paper that will get recycled.


Soooo much paper!

But I only have two more books to hollow out.  See?



I spent some time today working on a floorplan and figuring out the measurements.

I'm thinking 17 1/2 inches wide and 11 1/2 inches deep.  Though I might take one book away and use that as a place to hide the electrical works.  That would take the room box down to 16 1/2.  Which I still think is a lot of space.

Here's my idea of the floorplan.  I have a computer program called Campaign Cartographer which has an add-in for Cities and Houses.  So I took a print screen of it.  Each of the little spaces in the border represents an inch.

I marked where I'll put my hinged wall with bright pink.  I'll add a fake window to the right wall to give the room more detail.

It feels good to have a game plan even if I am going through Xacto blades like they're potato chips.

The room looks a little empty to me, but I figure I can fill in some of the space with some things from Poe's stories.  A cask of Amontillado, a purloined letter, a black cat, the obvious trappings of a detective... That sort of thing.

And in an effort to have something I could put up on Instagram I borrowed the WQRC garden and the flowers from the Craftsman Tiny House to make a little spring scene.





I also got an Amazon gift card for Christmas and used part of it to buy a copy of Janet Storey's 'Making Upholstered Furniture' and I'm looking forward to trying out some of her methods combined with some of Kris's tricks.  I also ordered one of her chaise kits to try because I couldn't resist.

I hope you're all staying healthy and safe.




7 comments:

  1. What an adorable scene! Just what I needed. I have a special fondness for cardinals. So glad you are feeling better and getting back to your work. Our company started us working from home this past Friday, but we are a large company and can deal with this. I feel really bad for small businesses that are getting hit economically. Stay safe and stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of paper and a lot of work but I bet it's so satisfying as you finish each one! The layout is great and I love that the desk will be the main focus as you open the door!
    I loved seeing the courtyard all done up for spring - it's so nice to go back and have a play with past projects and accessories that we really enjoy!
    I hope your business does not suffer too much and I hope you and the hubs stay safe and healthy! You've already had the flu this winter so now you get a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy to hear that you have a new mini project to occupy yourself with Sheila as who knows how long this virus episode will last, and I sincerely hope that your company is able to get through it without too much economic suffering.
    Revisiting your WQRC walled garden and getting to see the little rabbit and the Cardinal under the apple tree, is a Treat!
    Meanwhile, removing the pages from the stack of old books appears to have been a lot of work, however your proposed floor plan for your Edgar Allen Poe study already points towards a future of Fun! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've great plans for this new project, Sheila, I can't wait to see more, your plans look promising already. Removing all of those pages of the old books must have been a lot of work.
    Seeing back your WQCR garden is so nice, like Elizabeth said.
    Stay safe and helalthy, because this virus is quite a dangerous one.
    Hugs, Ilona (thankfully it's a virtual hug ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the book house - I have one of those on my bucket list too! I am really liking your rock wall and gate too. I am wondering if this extra time that we are given will allow everyone to take a little creative break ? Keep up the good work - Troy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila! I have always been fascinated with these "book buildings"! It is going to be fun watching how this is done. I had not thought how difficult it would be to empty out books while leaving a "shell" attached. The scenes in your Wicked Queen's garden are so sweet and refreshing at this time of year. Especially now when we must all be so careful! I am glad to hear you are better now... but stay well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a really good plan. I'm looking forward for the next part of your work. :)

    Yes, stay safe. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete