I started work on the posts for the loft railing.
They're drying now and I'll dry brush them with the metallic brown after they're done.
I also worked on the flooring for the loft second floor. I got it measured and cut, and that's as far as I got on the loft. I'm still thinking about the kitchen and how I want to do it. I was wondering about having the back wall a row of cabinets, fridge and stove, with the sink under the small window and an island going from the support post towards the stairs.
This is a view from the kitchen window. I think a wall of cabinets, stove, and fridge with a nice hood would be striking.
The shop shelves are all dry. I've got two more on backorder that I'll need to paint and finish when they arrive. But I tested out how the brass sconces would look.
I like how they look. I need to add some trim to the single book cases so they match the triple ones but so far so good.
Then I started to think about the doors on the shop. I'm debating on the color I want to paint the front. But I needed something eye catching for the doors.
While I was considering that I taped off the bronze doorknob for the fake door and painted it so it looked more like brass.
I also started thinking about the flooring and how I wanted to finish the bottom of the door frame. So I went through my wood and found some trim that would work.
I had to buy more wood flooring so I went with some black walnut. I'll add a cherry stain to it.
The narrow floor boards are simple but they'll work well for the flooring. I can use something wider on the third floor if I don't have enough of the walnut.
I dug through my metal finishings, and found my extra doorknobs. I had some plain brass ones without a plate and some more intricate ones in gunmetal grey. So I got my jewelry findings out again and started to make fancy doorknobs and kickplates.
First I painted the doors, I had to remove them from the front of the shop, which took a little doing, but I painted the insides black and taped off the windows on the outsides to make a black frame.
While the paint was drying I started gluing and painting the finishes.
I also made some framing for the interior of the doors to hold the windows in place.
I used the blue paint from the Craftsman Cottage on the exterior. I think the dark metal doorknobs/plates look nice with the black and blue.
I was thinking I might do the front of the shop with the blue and age it with some black, or darken the blue with black and then do a bit more aging? I'll have to mix up some colors and test them out. And I need to add kickplates to the front of the doors.
Here's the interior of the doors. I added some more brass trim to brighten them up a bit.
So I need to let them dry. But I think they look pretty good. At least so far. The kickplates need a bit more aging I think.
The last thing I did was paint my trim for the fake door and glue it on. When I dries I'll add the finish.
It needs a bit more darkening up, so I'll fix that before I add the finish. The doorknob needs a bit of aging too.
I'm going to think about colors and how I plan to stick the front to the rest of the building. I need to start working on the spiral stair for it as well.
For now, I'm going to get myself a drink and think about colors.
Hope you're all doing well!