Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Test Driving Bedding

Hey there, hi there, ho there... don't ask me where that came from, Sesame Street in my back brain?

Anyway... (awkward pause)

(big cheesy grin) I've been playing around with some vintage handkerchiefs I found.  I thought some of them would be perfect for the WQ's bed.  The texture looks about right for sheets and crocheted lace?

So I got the bed out and started taking some pictures with my phone.  Yes, that's how lazy I'm feeling, I didn't even bother with the cool camera.

I've got three lady's lace handkerchiefs but two are the same so here's our two lace patterns.


I tried them both out on the bed.



I'm leaning towards the one with the smaller lace border.  But I'm not sure.  

I also have some men's hankerchiefs.  I remember my dad having some like these.  There are three with patterns and one plain.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

And the Plain one.
So if I wanted a plain sheet for the bed I could use this last one, rather than the lace.  I also wanted to use one of the men's handkerchiefs for the draperies around the bed.  If I used a bit of tea to darken the fabric it would still lighten up the room but not be so white that it's jarring.  I'm leaning towards Number 1 for that because the pattern is symmetrical on all four sides and I'd be able to match patterns if I got that ambitious.



I also scored some fur, which I was thinking trimmed down slightly so it was to scale, would be very nice thrown on the end of the bed, and on the settle in the still room.  Plus I'd have plenty for the collar of a nice cloak for my WQ.  I want to put some hooks inside the front door, hang the cloak, a lantern, put the clogs under it and a basket for gathering vegetables.

I want the cottage to look lived in.  Which means clothing and some mess here and there. 

I'm going to go and look through some of my fabric and see if I can find something heavy for a coverlet and maybe a blanket.  Thin felt might do... hmm...

Hope you're all having a great week so far! 

20 comments:

  1. Aren't old hankies handy? Any of the choices would look great. I like that canopy bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really excited to find the lace ones. I need to go thrift shopping more often.

      I love that bed! One of my barewood buys from Minimum World

      Delete
  2. Hey there ! Hi there! Ho there!
    your as welcome as can be
    M- I- C.. K- E- Y... M.. O- U.. S-.E !

    and your hankies are a great choice for the bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That's where that's from! I could not think of it. It was just stuck in my head, along with 'Hi ho, Kermit the Frog here, with another fast breaking news story'.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! :)
    I like lady's lace handkerchief with wider lace. It looks wonderful on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Liberty Biberty did a gorgeous bed for her attic space and used vintage handkerchiefs.
      http://libertybiberty.blogspot.com/2018/09/a-better-bed-for-attic-room.html

      Delete
  4. The border laced handkerchiefs are a great find. Any of them will look good on this bed.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora! This is some sewing I'm almost looking forward to doing.

      Delete
  5. I'm loving the bedding and curtain ideas and can't wait to see the bed all dresses up! It'll be fun experimenting with the fur, too! Oooohhh we're getting to the fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I need to iron out the handkerchiefs. But I think some tea will really help with the color.

      Delete
  6. Ha! You just gave me a great idea for the curtains in my build I've been putting off.
    The vintage hankies are wonderful.

    Now I'm wishing I had stuck some fabric bits in your box....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I would have put some of my extra handkerchiefs in your package! I actually found some fabric that might work, it looks nubby like a wool blanket... Odd colors so maybe some dye is called for. I'll try and post it tonight.

      Delete
  7. Great re-purposing, and I love that fur! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brae! I was really excited to find them.

      Delete
  8. Sewing time! (My least favourite miniature activity to be honest!) The hankerchiefs look perfect for the bedding. Just the right weight. And I do love the fur! Paired with the warm lights of the fireplaces and the candelabras the whole places is going to look so cozy. I'm interested in seeing how it looks trimmed, I bought some to do just that but have yet to try. Hope the weekend work is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't mind sewing but it always seems to take forever! I found more fur in my stash that has a warmer look so I'm going to show it off this weekend too and see which would look better.

      I do like how the handkerchiefs look, I just need to make them slightly less white.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sheila! I think your hankies are going to make great bedding! Back then everything was much "plainer" than nowadays... they had to weave the cloth after spinning the threads.... it was a huge amount of work! I agree with you about using the plainer pieces, although it is fun to add trimmings.... I do love those extra decorations! The fur looks awesome... the piebald coloring gives you many options for different looks! I can't wait to see the bed all dressed up! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited because I found some more fur and some fabric that could serve as blankets as well.

      Delete
  10. The hankies are just right, and I love that piece of fur. Use it everywhere! Soft furnishings are one of my favourite things, it just takes so much work to get to that point. I finished a shirt (for myself) today. It's grey with tiny black and white diamonds scattered here and there. I'm looking at the off-cuts and wondering how an upholstered sofa and a few scatter cushions would look... I'll be watching your progress with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I'm researching using tea as a dye at the moment so I can make the 'bedding' less stark white.

      Oohh… I love remnants! It's always so much fun to see what you can make out of them!

      Delete