Saturday, August 25, 2018

Stain For the First Floor Ceiling


Trying to figure out what stain I want to use on the ceiling boards.


I showed the different samples with one of the dark walnut ceiling beams.  From left to right we've got Rustoleum Traditional Cherry, Rustoleum Summer Oak, Minwax Chestnut Gel stain, Rustoleum American Walnut and Minwax Early American.

For contrast I like the Summer Oak.  I think the cherry is a bit too red.  Same with the American Walnut.  The Early American just looks a little odd to me.  Not sure why.  I like the Summer Oak and the Minwax Chestnut, that's what I used on the panels in the bedroom.  They're both lighter without being red.

What do all of you think?

9 comments:

  1. I like Walnut colour. It's not red on the photo, I think it would look nice on the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the chestnut. Nice contrast, but older looking than the oak.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm actually doing layers of both to give it a bit more character.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sheila! I think for me it's the same: chestnut gel stain, because of the dark brown color. Maybe you can use just one layer for a lighter color as result and two layers where the color has to be more dark ;)?? I think the other colors are to reddish, I agree with you, Sheila.
    Good luck in your search for the right color.
    Hug, ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be psychic. I did a layer of chestnut and sanded it down and then did the summer oak over it.

      Delete
    2. Hehehe, no, not psychic, but I've done this once for myself, with a good result ;)! You're welcome!

      Delete
  4. Hello Sheila,
    I like the Minwax Chestnut Gel stain and the Rustoleum American Walnut. They both bring out a nice character in the wood.
    Big hug
    Giac both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like both of those too. I'll probably use the American walnut on a furniture piece.

      Delete