Sunday, June 17, 2018

Star Gazing & Other Useful Objects

Hey everyone, hope you're all having a Happy Father's Day.   My Step Dad is in Florida with my Mom and we don't have kids so it's quiet around here today.

I got some more channels for wiring routed out but they're boring so I didn't take any pictures.  I did wire up the candelabra to a battery and test it to be sure it worked.  Yay! It did.


I had to put it in the house because it wouldn't show up as lit until then.

Then I started to work on my orrey again.  I didn't like how clunky the wire I was using looked so I started over.

And because I don't know my planets I set my laptop up so I could make sure everything was in the right place and orbit.


It was very helpful to have it there.  I might have to do that more often.


I replaced the hematite bead with a lighter one for Jupiter because the hematite bead was so heavy.

I think it looks much better this way.


I'm not sure what this is called, the idea is candle light reflects on a mirror and you get the effect of the sun shining on the earth and moon.  I saw one on Pinterest and liked how it looked so I wanted to make one of my own.

This is the simpler version, I'm adding gears and some support filigree type trim.


Right now it's being braced in place while glue dries. Again.

Oh, speaking of glue drying.  Here's a slightly better picture of the telescope.


I bought a little hourglass but I got another as a charm and wanted to turn it into a fancier larger one for the tower.  So I got some wire and wood and built a little frame for it.  I'm pleased, it turns and everything.


I'm testing the Magic Brik on a scrap of the oatmeal containers and while it's drying I decided to test out my beams for the timber and lathe part of the house and tower.  It's very thin wood used for flooring but it bends easily like a veneer and takes stain well.


I like how it looks so far.  And I think with some more texture on the plaster portion it'll work out nicely.

Because I need to add the beams around the oriel window I glued it in and then taped around it to be sure it would stay in place while the glue dried.



Lots of tape, which seems to take some of the paint off of the plaster but I don't mind it so much because I plan to add more of the texture on top so any imperfections caused by the tape will be hidden.

I'm planning on not touching it for a bit.  Everyone cross their fingers that the cats won't get curious.

While that was drying I began working on some more stuff for the laboratory/stillroom.

I decided that in addition to the orrey I wanted an armillary sphere.  I like how they look and it'll be a good space filler.


Here it is in progress.  The base, planet, one ring and the other three rings are drying with glue on them to keep them circular on the tops of the paint bottles.

And here it is complete.


I wanted a few things for the stillroom/laboratory table so I decided to make a crystal ball and some quills and inkwells.  I got a marble with a slight opal sheen to it and rounded out a square of wood for it to sit in.  The inkwells and quills are tiny feathers and beads.


The glue is still drying on this piece and I'll have to remove the excess but I just had the idea that it would look cool on the table.


And I also wanted a type of scrying pendant, the type that swings and gives you a direction?  I'm going to look for something like an old compass print for the base.


The last thing I did was a brazier for burning incense.  I used some wisps of cotton to make smoke... but they don't show up very well yet.


I need to spend some time this week cutting out stone for the cottage walls.  Hopefully if I do that a bit each night I'll eventually get enough done to cover the lower floor of the cottage.  It's not my favorite thing but it needs to be done.

Doesn't feel like I got much done to cross off the list but I know all of these little things will fill out the tower and stillroom nicely.

One last thing.  Kristine of Paper Doll Miniatures very graciously took the door design I found on Pinterest and the door shape and laser cut them out of wood.  She sent me a couple versions, plus her first couple attempts.  I cannot believe how gorgeous she made this and how crisp the design is.

I finally trusted myself enough to trim the bottom of the door so it would fit.  She'd purposely made them a bit taller than my measurements so I could be sure of a good fit.  Then I tested it.  OMG.  So excited.


I can't thank her enough for doing all this work.  I'd tried multiple ways of getting something even vaguely similar onto the door and couldn't make it look even half as good.

It looks so pretty!

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

25 comments:

  1. All so gorgeous! The spheres, hour glass, the orrey, the telescope (fabulous) and the 'thingy' with the candle in the middle to shine light on the planets (my favourite although you are not supposed to have favourites. You are so clever with your beads, wires and finding it makes my jaw drop.
    The door by the way, is just amazing and will make such a fabulous entrance I am sure.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like them. I'm hoping to have a very realistic other worldly effect. A blend of science and magic if possible.

      Kristine did a fabulous job on the door. I can't thank her enough.

      Delete
  2. Sheila, I absolutely love following your project, everything you made so far is so gorgeous. There are also new things I didn't know anything about: the spheres, hour glass, orrey, telescope, ah well, it's too much to mention it all!
    But what to say about the door, made by Christine, it's amazingly beautiful, enjoy this precious gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It's actually a lot of fun to look up scientific tools for the Tudor period.

    I'm so excited by that door I don't have words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The door is beautiful and such a perfect fit! I love all your scientific accessories and the way you made them is absolutely brilliant. I love reading your interesting posts.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That door just amazes me. I need to do more research to see what else I can recreate for the stillroom. Maybe a still? That's how they got the name.

      Delete
  5. I am so excited that all of the stargazing implements are coming out so fantastically! You've done your homework, sourced awesome materials, and applied mad skills to make them all amazing! They are going to be fantastic accessories to support the theme and story of this build!
    The doors are incredible! I'm so happy that Kristine was willing and able to help you, because they are going to add something really special to the look of the whole project!
    Good luck with the glue, stones and Magic Brik testing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really excited about how everything is looking so far. I'm hoping to figure out some more thing to add along with old books, parchment...that sort of thing.

      Kristine was so awesome especially considering she was doing the door along with her own projects.

      Thanks! I'm hoping the bricks will be dry so I can see how the tape peels off.

      Delete
  6. Ooooohhhh that door is Way too cool!!! I Love the celtic-knotwork of the tree pattern! That was so wonderful of Kristine to make it for you!!! As for the "not much done".... it looks like you got tons done from my point of view!!! All those little things add up to a fantastic decor in the end! I Love every one of them! The hanging incence burner is a really nice idea! And I have my fingers crossed that your oriel window is firmly glued by now.... I always worry about the strength of the joins when using glue.... I guess I don't trust the stuff to last! You are making wonderful progress.... and I'll say it again... I love everything about this project!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristine really went above and beyond the call... She sent me two doors in different woods and then two doors she used for practice. Just in case I could use them.

      Thank you! I guess it doesn't feel like much on the actual house you know? But all this was a lot of work.

      I've had good luck with this glue. Plus I'll be doing some bracing and screws as well. Glue first, then screws, then trim to cover the screws.

      Delete
  7. I really like all of your miniature models, the planets turned out great. Great photos too! The door is beautiful with the knot pattern intertwined. I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who utilizes painters tape in odd ways.. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope my photography is getting slightly better. Kristine really did great with that door. I love it so much.

      Painter's tape is awesome! More forgiving that masking tape.

      Delete
  8. Hi Shelia, Ah! It fits!! I'm so happy the top part fits inside! I don't know if you had to do any more modifications but the end result looks so good! It was so fun knowing I was making something for this build. I just commented on Insta but the roasted maple version really was my favourite. The knotwork tree seems to really be a good scale with the doorway too. yay! I'm really looking forward to seeing it stained and with all the other windows because you did such nice trim work on them too. :D And what kind of hardware matches that period? Should be really nice once you get some sort of handle on it!

    My first thought was wow! either she has an amazing craft stash or she did some clever shopping before hand. I can't believe you whip these up so quick from scratch! And the wood on the exterior of the tower is really neat. Is it like vinyl or veneer? Looks like its going to be a good fit. I hope you are able to get that oriel window attached... looks kind of heavy but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
    Have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You wouldn't believe how excited I was that I was well enough to cut the door. I was so freaked out that I'd goof it up but it fit great. It looks so pretty!

      I've got some hinges that are a bit gothic looking and I'm going to test how they look against it sometime this week. And I've got a scroll type of handle for the outside and a sliding bolt for the inside.

      I have a huge stash of beads and old wooden pieces that I've been using. I used to make jewelry and have a lot of beads and metal findings. Whenever there's a sale I go looking for things to fill out my stash.

      The wood on the tower is a veneer, I'll take a picture of the package I bought. I got it off Ebay years ago and hadn't used it but it's perfect for this because it's thin enough to bend.

      The window is heavy. I'm planning on some screws to help hold it up. fingers crossed!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  9. Se ve que has trabajado mucho haciendo los planetas y todos los accesorios para el laboratorio, el resultado es genial. La puerta se la ve fantástica.Feliz semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So many great accessories Sheila. It may not feel like a lot, but I bet when it comes to the last few weeks or days, having these accessories made and ready to go will be a God send. And yes, your door is fantastic! Gotta love laser cutters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to fix a few more up.

      Kristine is awesome with a laser cutter!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, you have made the coolest accessories! I LOVE everything! The laser cut work is also wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I owe Kristine big time for all her hard work.

      Delete
  12. Wow, that is going to be one well equipped lab! I'm loving all the little details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope everything looks good once it's in the room.

      Delete
  13. You are so tallented. And make incredible things. Love all the miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I want the tower and workshop to have a blend of science and magic.

      Delete
  14. I love everything you've been making Sheila but that amillary sphere! Bestill my heart.. I must have one. I'm going to try to fabricate my own. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased it turned out fairly well. I made mine out of painted cardboard and copper wire.

      Delete