Sunday, March 11, 2018

Second Story & Front Door

Springing forward for the time change always leaves me irritable.  I feel like I'm losing time and won't get it back, and for weeks I'm still adjusting to the shift.

The fact that its not something strictly necessary only adds to my irritation.

So I don't expect to get a whole lot more done today in regards to the dollhouse.  More research and hopefully some wood cuts to add onto the width of the gable pieces and hopefully some mockups of the dormers I need to make.

If I lengthen the pieces of the roof and widen the gables I'm hoping I'll be able to make accurate measurements for the dormers and possibly draw out where I'll need to cut the roof pieces.

But most of yesterday was spent cutting and gluing my wood together to make a solid back wall since I didn't want windows in it.


My next step was making the second floor.  I went with seventeen inches wide, which is an inch and one eighth wider than the base and it overhangs the front wall by an inch.


The overhang will serve as the roof of the bay window.  I'm going to narrow the front window and push it up from the floor a bit.  I don't like how low the windows are really.  I might want to move all of them up a bit, maybe an inch more?


I'll admit I've spent a lot of time researching Tudor style doors and trying to figure out a way to make mine unique. I also want to give it a somewhat mystical feel so I've been looking at knotwork, dragons, other ways to jazz up an otherwise simple door.

But I did draw out my shape and cut it out of some quarter inch thick basswood.


I've got tape being used as hinges at the moment.  The door is wider than the standard door opening, but no taller.  I'm actually pretty happy with how it came out.

I haven't glued anything together yet but I did get all of the upper walls cut and taped into place. I have this fear of gluing anything together before I figure out my electrical layout and where my divider will be for removing the side wall so I can access the rooms.



I obviously will replace the prefab dormer with one made specifically for the house along with another where the hole for the skylight is.

I don't want the dormer over the front door to be at the same height as the one over the big window opening.  I think I'd rather have it a bit lower.  It won't look quite like my drawing but that wasn't meant to be completely accurate.



The other idea is to make the small window on the left side of the picture bigger so I can put a casement window in it.  I'd like to do the same thing with the window in the back gable.

All this does give me semi accurate measurements of ceiling height which helps when it comes to making the stairs in the tower.  I've got an inch wide round dowel and Styrofoam so I can try to make stairs like Brae's in her Aero Squadron Lounge.  Hers are so pretty, I think I can replicate them inside my oatmeal containers.

I got some hinges so I can cut the containers in half and we'll be able to see the steps.  And I also got some Aluminum Black.  It was cheap so I'm going to try it to blacken my aluminum mesh for the windows.


We'll see.  If it doesn't work I've got some other options lined up.

I'm also going to experiment with Kris's paper pottery methods.  I want to make some Tudor style pottery like this.




I think the fact that it's obviously not completely symmetrical will help.  My efforts doubtless will be less than perfect.

Here's a question for all of you.  I'd decided to put the fireplace in the center of the building.  On the side next to the solid wall I'm planning on a wall and shelving, at least in the kitchen.  And maybe a small chair on the bedroom side.

Should I build out a small wall on the opposite side of the fireplace?  It would meet the wall that's removable.  I'm debating on that because I'm not sure if its strictly needed and also because of this next issue.

The other question is that I have to cut a door opening in the back wall in order for the WQ to reach the stairs.  In keeping with the style of the cottage, the shape should match the front door. I'll admit, that shape is not easy to cut.  I'd have to make the door narrower than the front door too.

So do I make it easy on myself and only cut out one door in the back wall, or do I embrace the difficulties and create a dividing wall with another door to the bedroom?

Oh, here's a hint about what I'm trying to do for the front door.



25 comments:

  1. What if you added a 1-1/4" strip to the bottom of all the walls rather than cut and fill all the windows? You'd also have to trim the floor a bit to subtract the groove width, but the support provided by the grooves can easily be replaced by adding 1/4" x 1/4" support strips to the bottom of the newly added wall extensions. Make sense?

    As to the door and cutting something difficult, I love the shape of the front door, and to see it repeated several times in the build would be fantastic! It is a challenge, but instead of it scaring you, do it over and over and over until you have mastered it. You can always practice on foam core until your muscle memory takes over. I think you have the talent and determination, now go get the confidence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of not having to cut MDF. But I don't want to add more height to the first floor. In the end, cutting the MDF might just be simpler. I'll have to think about it a bit, but I really don't like how low the windows are.

      I think even if I don't do the dividing wall I still want to use the Tudor shape on the tower door. I need to think about placement too because I need to access the second floor and I need enough wall height to cut the same door there.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sheila. It is looking good! I am not convinced that you need to use the Gothic shape again. After all, it is a front door, which would have been grander than interior utilitarian doors. And this is a cottage not a manor house. I don’t understand about the interior walls so won’t comment on those. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm thinking that echoing the shape will reinforce the time period. Plus the cottage has been 'upgraded' by the WQ when she returned to it so those elegant touches might have been something she added.

      Delete
  3. I like where you’re taking the build! The front door shape is wonderful.

    I stumbled upon a mini supplier yesterday and now seeing your progress, they might be up your alley! Or at least a source of inspiration:

    http://www.omniartsofcolorado.com/OmniArts/Catalog.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That took me a while to figure out and cut.

      Ooohh... that looks like a fun site. Very curious about their armor.

      Delete
  4. This post took me some time for reading, due to the technical terms in the English language and its translation, but I made it hehehe ;O. But wow, Sheila, so many ingenious plans and it is looking good. Have a nice week!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds as if you have a clear idea of what you want and how to get there, which I think is half the battle. I love the stencil design for the door. If you want that shape embossed onto the door, I've seen people put acetate over the design, use a fine nozzle bottle to paint the design with plaster medium and then peel off when dry. Then the design can be glued to the door and painted. OR, if it's going to be etched into the wood you have a mate in Ole Blighty who could help with that :0D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, having a plan is a huge help.

      I love that design but I don't want to recreate it perfectly. I actually want to try combining a couple of techniques to make it look like a raised carving in the wood. I've seen people do tissue paper over cardboard to look like stone, and I think I can do the same over paper covered wire to look like carving.

      Delete
  6. It's looking really good! The front door design is beautiful. I also love the shape of the door. You did a wonderful job so far, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it'll really come together once I've got all my pieces cut out. Then I can mess with a furniture layout to see what sort of wiring I need and where my doors will go.

      Delete
  7. Your mock up and the sketch indicates that you are off and running and at a good clip too!
    Like you, I hate to glue anything down until I'm forced to however having the walls upright really helps you get a feel for the flow of the interior. Your curved staircase will be ideal for this cottage and so will some dragons!
    If I recall, a while back, Casey made one for the top of Tessie's conservatory.
    And re: the relief pattern on your front door; have you thought of using hot glue? Caroline from Cinderella Moments effectively uses hot glue on her ceilings and on her fireplaces, so it may be a viable solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited, I'm going to try to get some more done tonight before I have to vacuum again.

      I remember Casey making a dragon for the conservatory, it looked awesome.

      Hot glue is another option, my concern is getting the detail I want and the glue can be tricky. I'd have to play with it and see. Lots of experimenting going on!

      Delete
  8. Un proyecto muy prometedor y por lo que veo muy planificado. El comienzo fantástico ,buena semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are cruising right along! I love the door shape and vote yay for repeating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Once I get door placement for the tower access figured out I'll have to repeat it.

      Delete
  10. It starts looking good! Tudor windows would be smaller and higher up the walls, I imagine. Go for the intricate door shape. It can only become easier with repetition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what I was thinking. I can get away with using the kit windows because I'll build a casement inside the frames and that'll make the windows smaller. But they definitely need to be higher up off the floor.

      And yeah, I think the tudor shape door will be a nice touch for the tower entrances.

      Delete
  11. Catching up a bit here. I love the direction you're headed. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to get everything figured out for the structure and get moving on it.

      Delete
  12. I'm a little late here this week, I completely blame it on the time change, I've been so out of sorts!

    Wow Just seeing it all together in that dry fit, and it looks so perfect!! I personally really dislike the big front window that comes with the kit and love the proposed changes. I wish I could comment more on that wall by the fireplace you mentioned...but I went back to some of your room layout posts and can quite figure out what you mean... sorry! I think I'd need a drawing or something haha. But I'm sure you'll figure it out :)
    I'm going to send you an email because I have an idea for your door! ;) So excited for your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time change is goofing me up too. I hate it!

      I'm glad you like it. I've having a good time with it so far. Still can't work much on it besides research during the week but I've got some paper covered floral wire in brown and I'm thinking it'll work for knotwork.

      Ooohh...I love feedback and ideas. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. nice post, keep up with this interesting work. It really is good to know that this topic is being covered also on this web site so cheers for taking time to discuss this!
    info@ozautomation.com.au

    ReplyDelete