Sunday, May 21, 2017

Flagstone Wainscoting & Chimney

Last week I didn't get much done besides spending money.  Unfortunately the money wasn't for mini house stuff.  It was for big house stuff.  Gotta love buying new mattresses.  For the next year we'll be paying the amount of a car note but at least its interest free.

New mattresses mean a lot of clean up and clearing things so the guys had room to take the old ones out and put the new ones in.  So I was fairly exhausted.  But I did get to make a trip to drop things off at Goodwill.  We've got a center in town that takes donations seven days a week.  So Saturday, cleaning, clearing and delivery.  Sunday get rid of all the stuff I cleared out.

This week is a different story.  I'd been trying to figure out how big a bump out I'd need for the exterior chimney.  I also had to remove some of the stone I put on because I forgot I was putting a chimney in.  What can I say, two steps forward, one step back.

But I got the stone removed and then did another dry fit to measure just how deep the eaves of the roof would be.  I want the chimney to go under the eaves, not over, if that makes sense.

See the vertical lines?  Yeah, I forgot those are supposed to represent the chimney when I put the stone on. Oh well.
So my chimney is about three quarters of an inch deep.  It doesn't look like much now but I did match the angle of the roofline for the top and the little bumps to fit under the foundation.

Glue is still drying so I'm not sure if I'll get to add stone to it today or not.




It's balsa and bass wood with some interior bracing to keep it steady under the weight of the plaster stone. 

I'm actually getting excited about this build again.  Mostly thanks to the stone being pretty much done.  It takes me forever to get it laid out and glued.  It's like a puzzle without a picture to match it.

The bare spot under the front door is for the porch.
I'm thinking I might order another bag of the stone just in case. I need to go around the porch supports and also I need it for my pillars for the porch as well.

But my renewed enthusiasm is also because when I did my dry fit I put the fireplace and window seat build ins inside the build and make sure they fit.

Yay they fit!  The rallying cry of miniaturists everywhere.



I'm so excited that they fit. And they look pretty good I think. 

So the question is how to finish the interior chimney, I was debating using the flagstones again but I think I'd rather make it look like a drywall bump out.  I think any other stonework would look too busy and detract from the tiles.

I'm going to do a dry fit of my windows and tape the trim in place.  I need to make a lip for the wainscoting and it might necessitate changing the exterior window trim somewhat.  While I'm at it I might mess around with the windows and see how they look with mullions.  But first, see if my chimney glue has dried.

Well I'm off to check my glue and hopefully hinge a couple of walls together.  We'll see how that goes.

How is everyone else doing? 



16 comments:

  1. lots of work but isn't it wonderful how thing come together?
    ... even if you have to destroy some facade again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let's hope that was the last of the destruction. But I'm so glad everything fits inside the house.

      Delete
  2. Yay, it fits!

    I love that stonework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm gluing my chimney in place then it's time to do the stone on it.

      Delete
  3. It's all looking great Sheila, coming together beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I'm so relieved to have most of the stone done. I'm still slower on this build than I was last year, or at least it feels like I am.

      Delete
  4. It is coming together nicely - Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I'm finally getting some of my enthusiasm for this back. I was seriously dragging for a while.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks! Finally regaining some of my enthusiasm for this build.

      Delete
  6. I've just done the exact thing - put the roof in place and forgot about the chimney and had to chip a hole for it :0P Isn't is great when everything fits though? The window seat looks wonderful Keep that enthusiasm going sweety, you're doing so well :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's really irritating because I'd marked a place for it, I just didn't pay enough attention.

      Delete
  7. Precioso el zócalo, las tonalidades diferentes lo hace muy especial,feliz semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes - the new mattress shuffle. Hopefully the improved sleep and better body feeling will soon pay back big dividends. The garden improvements, too!

    I'm so glad that everything fits! It looks great, too! I am starting to be able to imagine what it's going to look like. I happy to hear that you found your excitement again!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're noticing some improvement with the body aches which is good.

      I was really relieved that everything fit! I'm still not 'feeling' this build as much as the last one but it's clicking along.

      Delete