Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tumbling Down

As in the walls came... or the Dollhouse as the case may be. 

Yep.  You heard me right.  The dollhouse ended up on the floor.  Splat.  With a very loud thump/crash.

How did this happen you might ask?  Oh don't worry. I'll tell you. 

In fair Denton where we lay our scene. From ancient grudge break to new mutiny... oops. Sorry that's Shakespeare.

Ahem.

So I was working on the front porch again.  Fixing some of the boards and getting the wiring glued into place with more beams/rafters.  In order to do this I need to have the house upside down.  There's no way I could do this work with the house right side up.  I'd end up needing a chiropractor. Again.

So far so good. Right?
I get most of the boards glued down, a few things held with binder clips and the wires glued into place.  And I decide to spackle/wood putty the holes in the wall closed.

See the hole above?  That needed to be closed.  It doesn't show from the inside but it looks awful on the outside.
 So I get everything nice and glued and spackled/wood puttied and I leave it that way to dry into place.
Another shot of the holes. There are three by the way.
In retrospect it might have been a mistake to go into the living room.  The dollhouse isn't meant to be balanced on the dormer and roof peak.  It has a nice solid base and is meant to sit right side up.

About half an hour later there was a very loud crash.  And a small white/calico cat streaking out of the dining room to hide in the guestroom.

I took a very deep breath and let it out.  And resigned myself to whatever disaster had occurred.  Jess got up with me and took a quick look.  Then he told me to get the camera because otherwise no one would believe what had happened.

I'll just show you.  A picture is worth a thousand words right?

Figure it out?
Here are a few more pictures to give you a better idea of the situation.

Please forgive the mess on the floor.  I'd say it doesn't always look that like but I'd be lying to your face. Computer screens.  Whatever. I'd be telling a blatant falsehood.

Getting a better idea of what happened?
Notice Swoops face down in a box.
You see Swoops had been here...

He was supervising.
I bet you've figured it out by now.
And here is our culprit.

Being held up for her mugshot. Tali Zorah Vas'Normandy
She loves to investigate the dollhouse and probably jumped from a spot on the desk to the top of it.  Which would be the base since it was inverted.  Being non too steady the whole thing overturned and crashed to the floor.

She freaked and ran.  Really who could blame her?  I'd run too.  And we got up to figure out what had happened.  Jess said he wished we had motion capture cameras so we could see the look on her face when it all started to fall over.  Slo mo kitty cat panic face.

But there was only a little part damaged and that's easily fixable.  The rear right corner of the roof got bent but with some glue and another binder clip to hold it in place it'll be fine. 

I was actually pretty impressed that the house held up so well.  It doesn't have nails in the construction, it's all glue.  (And paint.)  But it didn't fall apart upon impact and that's a pretty good endorsement of how well it's made.

So that was our adventure on Saturday morning.

I worked on the dollhouse a bunch the rest of the day and Sunday too and made some real progress to show you in my next post.

By the way, it took Tali until Sunday night to climb back on the desk and inspect the house.  Thankfully it was right side up and she decided to leave it that way.

See you all next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment